Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 04:00:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Well Kept Secret:  Decware Treble Dampening Contro (Read 8383 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Well Kept Secret:  Decware Treble Dampening Contro
06/05/09 at 17:13:52

In the designer notes for the new Mini-Torii amp Steve included this section:

TONE CONTROL

During the day at work we find ourselves listening to the radio and Internet radio such as Pandora etc., and while it sometimes sounds almost hi-fi, most of the time it makes a guy like me suffer.  Putting a treble dampening circuit in the amp that is fully adjustable, not in the direct signal path and fully defeatable makes it possible to listen to sub-par sources or recordings with far less distraction.  At the same time many high efficiency speakers are fairly tipped up in response, having significantly more treble than bass.  If it weren't for this trait everyone would probably love single driver full range speakers but the majority develop a love/hate relationship with them.  This amp allows you to damp the top end as much as needed, and on the fly.  So it has a dual purpose and I think many people will find it more than valuable.

I read this and thought "This is exactly what I need! This will allow me to listen to a lot of recordings with relish!"  Steve verified that he can add this to any of the amplifiers.

So I had Steve add this to the Integrated I bought earlier this year. Wow!  This circuit has allowed me to tailor the sound with precision and has really helped me to enjoy my entire system more deeply.  I kid you not.  It is also on the Torii Mark II that I received this week and if possible it's even more valuable on that amp.

If you struggle with brightness on much of your listening material or in the system overall consider this "mod" or addition to a Decware amp.  Steve charged me 85 dollars for the circuit and installation, and it's paying for itself every week.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Ex Member

Re: Well Kept Secret:  Decware Treble Dampening Contro
Reply #1 - 06/06/09 at 01:43:22

This fascinates me, for the moment.

I had read it and dismissed it once before, because I had little, to zero, knowledge of internet radio or Pandora or The other streaming , sub-par sources.
I have recently entered the 21st century and established a proper internet in my house.  I constantly find exceptional "playlists"  I can create and cannot actually enjoy them, due to some of the obvious insufficiencies in the medium.

However, this cringing has not kept me from continuing to try.

I've changed "almost everything"  and earned NO checkered flag.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 06/06/09 at 15:23:20

Well, I've never connected a computer or streamer to my stereo and don't think I ever will. . . .

But I bet this circuit will improve the sound you get when you do.  I use it with my cd/SACD and Blu-Ray players and the treble is always at least a little bit dampened.  It really makes the system shine.  I'm sure it would be helpful for your purposes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/06/09 at 21:14:40

I get that, but my use for the free service (BS, it's not "free!"  Its cost is included whether the customer uses it or not) is more geared around compromising with the rest of the family, by playing some music that others would enjoy, when everyone is around (such as during meal times) AND still using my better sounding gear, instead of using my HT surround set-up for instance.

Also, by using this streaming service I get immediate access to music that I would never want to actually BUY for my own "quiet time"  listening pleasure.

I am not ashamed of my attempts to compromise with my wife, to be quite honest.
Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 06/06/09 at 21:22:22

I wasn't asking you to feel ashamed!  i totally understand, my curcumstances are different is all, and I have so so many discs to listen to! Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/07/09 at 21:37:25

I was thinking of this today:  if I had this control on my Select, I might never have sold it years ago!

But then I wouldn't have the Torii Mark II, and I tell you, this amp is one I wish I could have started out with! Phenomenal, and the control really makes a difference.

IP Logged
Dirty_Dawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/08/09 at 00:50:06

I know, Lon. I was being cute with that wife-ish-ly remark, without thinking it through, fully.

I never meant to make you defensive either.

Back to the real world, now.

(communication has never been my mainstay, so, aside from all that ... I am interested in this thread.)

I will now wait for more social members to respond to your brilliance.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/08/09 at 01:08:18

Briliance?  Hardly.

I"m just excited about this. possibly brilliant:), offering by Steve. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 06/18/09 at 14:17:49

Wow, every week I value this control more than ever. It has really transformed my listening, allowing me to clearly dial in just the right balance.

Wow.

IP Logged
KimKman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/18/09 at 17:30:08

:) Am getting to know exactly where to dial it for individual LP's Very nice indeed.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print