Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/17/24 at 03:27:42 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DECWARE MLB HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER (Read 6430 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

DECWARE MLB HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
05/16/09 at 19:35:03

DECWARE MLB ("My Little Buddy") SET headphone amplifier in excellent condition. This unit was produced by DECWARE from 2004-2006 after it was replaced by the CSP2, which incorporates a head amp and preamp into one unit. The MLB is finished in light gray powder coat, a very durable finish that resists fingerprints and dirt. The amp is conservatively in 8/10 condition on the Audiogon scale. Included with the sale is the amp, the tubes shown in my photos, shipping box, but no power cord.

The unit is cute and nice looking in a retro space age tech way. I used it primarily in an office setting and it worked well. I am expanding my office system to include a CSP2, an amp and speakers so I no longer have any need for this. I am the second owner. I bought it in 2007 and it has been back to DECWARE for some upgrades. It can drive headphones of any impedance. My personal preference is GRADOS. The 2 toggle switches in front are impedance selectors. Just flip them backward or forward whichever position sounds better.

Rolling rectifier tubes: 5U4G/GB, 5AR4, 5Y3GT, Bendix 6106, 274B can have a REMARKABLE impact on the sound, as does rolling the three 6N1P/6922/7308/E88CC/ECC88 positions. The amp can sound crystal clear all the way to full tubey, depending on what tubes are used. I preferred JJ ECC88's as drivers with an Electro Harmonix 6922 in front, with a Bendix 6106 rectifier. The unit has a slight intrinsic hum that is minimized with low impedance headphones. It does not detract from the music.

The designer's paper on the amp can be found here: DECWARE - Audio Paper - The headphone advantage The Owner's Manual is here: https://www.decware.com/headphone/MLBownersmanual.pdf

I am asking $395.00 including Pay Pal fees and shipping cost, within the Continental United States. The amp will be shipped in a proper shipping box that came from DECWARE along with a new Sovtek 5Y3 rectifier tube and 3 Russian Military 6N1P tubes.

090516_007.JPG

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
PeterP
Ex Member

Re: DECWARE MLB HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
Reply #1 - 07/10/09 at 13:47:29

I'm interested in your MLB, but had some questions.  First, you mentioned that it had been to Decware for some upgrades; what in particular did you have done?  Second, I noticed that you posted in the CSP2 forum that your MLB was arcing, blowing fuses, and took out a couple of tubes with it.  Has that issue been resolved, and if so, how?  Final questions are in regards to the intrinsic hum you mention.  Is that with just your copy of the MLB or is that something all MLBs do?  I'd like to use it with a pair of HD600s which are 300-ohm; how bad is the hum?  Many thanks.  By the way, I would have pm'd you all of this, but the forum's software won't let me PM until I've reached 5 posts.  The best way to get a hold of me is my email pphan at synergymedical.org

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: DECWARE MLB HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
Reply #2 - 07/14/09 at 03:17:06

I sent you email.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print