Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 02:36:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This forum. . . sleeply little town (Read 2400 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

This forum. . . sleeply little town
04/17/09 at 17:49:21

Well, this forum has become a sleepier and sleepier little town. . . .

Seems not long ago we had Hurdy Gurdy and Brad and Terry and Randy talking many times a day, and there were discussions of audio products Decware and otherwise and many other things. . . .

What happened?  Do we have to go find Eerie Von and Nitpicker and get them to stir  up the dust? Grin

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Re: This forum. . . sleeply little town
Reply #1 - 04/17/09 at 19:16:49

I've been trying to do my share Lon, really I have. Smiley

BTW I have the old Golden Tube Audio SE40 set up and dusted off for the first round of my smackdown battle vs my Taboo. The SE 40 has all the recent upgrades I know about and I have JJ 6L6GC, RCA blackplate 6L6 and SED 6L6GC and a set of Sylvania 5881 from the 60's with brown base and yellow lightning tops (try finding those now in a sixtet)  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/17/09 at 19:21:04

I know the Taboo is going to WIN WIN WIN! Wink

You are doing your share my friend!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 04/17/09 at 20:34:28

Lon: I guess everyone's noticed that this forum seems if not moribund, then VERY quiet anyway.  The other (few) audio forums I visit seem much the same- maybe it's just my perception. There's always those people, some with many thousands of posts, who feel compelled to respond to every single topic. Then there's the "regulars" and then the newer members.
Dunno if it's the economic times or what, but without the input of the above mentioned "regulars", the place would really suffer.
Looking forward to your impressions of your new amp & speakers!
Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/17/09 at 21:37:36

Thanks for weighing in Don.

I'm actually reticent to post. . . as the echo is deafening!  I know I post too much. . . so I want others to post to help disguise that fact. Smiley I am retired for now and have the time to do so. . . I post on two other (jazz music) boards as well.  They are much busier boards than this one however, having a broader scope.

I've been feeling somewhat of a Decware traitor because I just don't "get" the ZCD Smiley but I hope to redeem myself by really liking the Integrated (though still haven't received any idea why I didn't get it configured the way I requested it) and Bob's Torii II and the new Radial versions when I get these.

I'm in my parents' house for two more days and I love being here but I miss my stereo (and my bike!)

Maybe if we all created a new topic a day for a while the place might have some movement?  I'll try!

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #5 - 04/17/09 at 21:40:20

Howdy Lon,

Thanks for thinking about me .....  

I'm not sure about the others, but my recent bout of illness took a little of the wind out of my sails and put me into a pattern of lurking more than posting.  I'm still not up to speed because of the side effects from the treatments I have been going through for the past few months, but I am slowly getting my strength back.

In addition to not feeling the best, a life threatening illness can have the effect of causing a person to focus on what is really important in life.  As much as I love music (and I REALLY do love music) there are only so many hours in a day and I have been sharing some of the listening and forum posting time that I previously spent with some other activities I enjoy ..... such as spending time with my family, bird watching, tending to my collection of miniature houseplants, gardening and playing my acoustic guitar (I know, I know ..... that falls into the music category).

Of course, the most important thing in my life is the pursuit of spiritual things ..... to which I have apportioned a suitable amount of my time and limited energy.

Unfortunately, because of the treatment I was receiving, I missed the DecFest for the first time this year .....    

I plan to attend the HornFest that is coming up in a couple of weeks and if I am still breathing I will be at the 2009 DecFest .....    

In addition to the fact that most of the posters to this forum are very busy people with a lot of interests, there are a lot of audio forums out there.  That might account for folks being "spread a little thin".

Even so, I will make an effort to post a bit more often (on the rare occasion that I have something intelligent to contribute) and hope that some of the other regulars will do the same.

As a sign says in one of our local 24 hour Caintuck greasy spoon restaurants ..... "We may doze, but we never close" .....

Thanks for the friendly reminder and best wishes,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 04/17/09 at 21:52:13

Randy, I was thinking of you, and I do know why you've cut back on your posting.  I'm well enough acquainted with health issues and their impact.

Here's hoping your health continues to improve and your time gets consequently freer. You are doing the right thing to prioritize as you do. As music is probably one of the very most important things in my life I probably dedicate more time than most to its many forms in my life. . . . I do understand that this is not the norm.

Keep in touch with us amigo!  You're missed.

IP Logged
buzz
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/18/09 at 00:04:10

Life gets in the way. It is understandable that people re-prioritize. As we get closer and closer to 'audio nirvana' the steps get closer together and the sense of urgency lessens.

Also a lot of the daily conversations were not truly audio related... "just dropped in with a thought" has moved to the many online friends networks such as twitter, facebook, myspace etc. They all are junk to me because few people give audio past Itunes a second thought.  ::)  For the diehards Decware is still where its at .  ;)

I've never been much of a socialite. What I miss the most is bouncing thoughts off the tube guru's. It seems as if they never post anywhere anymore, and most of my conversations carry on privately. I'm just happy Decware was there back in '96 when I first took notice.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #8 - 04/18/09 at 00:21:10

Glad to hear you're healing, Randy!
I echo your thoughts re: Decware too, Buzz.
My Select caused me to re-evaluate the hi-fi thing.
(2 wpc/tiny/ nah!!)

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/18/09 at 01:32:51

Well Don, Buzz. . . I know what you mean.  I guess I like to keep my typing skills up, but it won't be here!  :)  Guess it will be sleepy and I'll go talk jazz on the jazz boards.

Enjoy the tube glow guys!

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #10 - 04/18/09 at 02:27:13

There have been quite a few "regulars" that have not been around as much, but back only a few years, we tended to get a lot more new questions and thoughts posted up. The pot was being stirred. Since Steve split this place into two forums and I have never been able to log into the other half, I figured everyone jumped ship to go over there. I miss a lot of my old friends from around the world.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better Randy. I hate to hear when anyone here has an illness. I hope you recover fully and you can get back to ALL the things you enjoy.

Take care everybody,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #11 - 04/18/09 at 02:30:01

Lon: Any "jazz-boards" you recommend?
Thanks, Don

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/18/09 at 03:13:33

Robert,

Yes, when the board was split. . . well it's never been the same.  

Don,
Here are two that I haunt:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/   I post as jazzbo here

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/  I post as pie-eyed blue here

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #13 - 04/18/09 at 06:30:44

Well, besides the board being split to audiophile.com and the Decware support forum, proper;

There has been the introduction of way way WAY too many sub-categories in both of these forums.

I think the posts are really about the same, statistically, but conversations in a particular "box" or "sub-category" are separated by such an abyss from any other category, that it makes it an annoyance to check in on a thread and make a comment or ask a question, or create a sense of community.

Both forums should be collapsed down into FAR fewer sub-categories, and a community might then reform.

Less is more...

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/18/09 at 14:45:37

Veryoldcat makes a valid point. I an an administrator of one of the largest free college sports site on the internet (University of Alabama) and we have simplified our forum listings a couple of times to make the board more user friendly. I am one who actually likes a sense of family or community when using a message board and have probably made over 30,000 posts, no telling how many PMs or emails. Being retired I have time for all this foolishness. Wink

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 04/18/09 at 21:21:24

The forum was split???

I thought portions were just deleted as time went on.

Where's the rest?

Ya'll know where I've been.  :-/  Hell, life's still rolling downhill.

WWW e3_wizard jetleeamc   IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/19/09 at 01:22:57

Part of it is Audiophile....... But I have a question about HDTs and will post there in hopes that some of you may have an answer. I know how forums work and like all relationships (yep, its one of those) they have an ebb and flow. So fear not, this one is like that too.

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #17 - 04/19/09 at 02:36:12

(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 04/19/09 at 15:42:42

Good point about the layout of the forum Karl.  I do undrestand why it's set up that way and it doesn't interfere with my posting, but I'm like Richard, a veteran of bulletin boards who can post through incoming fire and in all forms of inclement weather. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 04/19/09 at 15:43:25

Mike, this one just seems to keep on ebbing!

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/19/09 at 17:46:55

Well my amp shootout took a bad turn this morning. I had the Golden Tube Audio SE40 all set up but when I pushed the power on button one 6L6 in the left channel lit up like Los Vegas and died. I'm all out of 6L6s so I have to take this amp out and next up will be the NYAL Moscode 75, maybe the old Bugle Boys in it will hold up. Wink

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 04/19/09 at 20:44:04

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ick

Lon, if this one keeps ebbing then flow cant be far away......  8-)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 04/19/09 at 21:18:35

Ebb and Flow. . . sounds like it would make a good comic strip!

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #23 - 04/22/09 at 00:56:11

LOL

I remember waaaaaaay back when there were some sub catagories to the Decware forum, but there was a pretty constant flow of conversation on the one board. Since then (98?) I have joined, posted to, left, rejoined, and in various other ways haunted no few internet forums. I wouldn't care to imagine how many posts I have made in total. I have even been an admin on several of these. There are forums with so many members that a lot of separation is needed so that the admins can keep an eye on their specific sections.

This forum has never seemed that busy to me. The split actually stopped me from coming at all for quite some time. Since I can't get into the audiophiletalk section I don't know how it even looks over there now. Can anyone report if some of our old buds are posting still?

I keep coming back to check in here and see who is handy. I miss a lot of your guys comments though and it looks like quite a few "veterans" still hang out here to answer questions to people looking at new equipment Perhaps the Ebb and Flow will find it's way back home. Or perhaps I will find a way to get into the other half of the forum. Until then, sleepy it seems to be for me, lol

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
76doublebass
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/02/09 at 15:03:45

Hi its Don C. May I share with u all a tweak I did that has kept me awake with not much sleep yesterday.This tweak was a major sonic improvment in my system WHERE IS NIT WHEN I NEED HIM.
I replaced the wall outlet with a PORTER PORT RECEPTACLE.This is a hospital grade Hubbel that has been cyroed at NASA.I literally thought someone pulled a blanket off my system, And this is one day after I sent my Tascam out for all the full mods that Steve will do on it.
So I just wanted to share this with u all and all I could say is WOW WOW WOW. I can really hear just how good the 84 C really sounds and now will be really waiting to get back the ZCD in a couple of weeks or more.
Don Curry Cheesy

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 05/02/09 at 15:13:26

Cool Don.  Thanks for sharing.

Let's leave Nit where he seems to want to be, on the other forum. . . .

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/02/09 at 19:54:51

You could put all I know about cyro on the head of a pin. I have a couple of cyro tubes and that's it. I have an electrical background but this is new stuff to me. I feel so out of touch, ancient, insignificant, cave mannish.

IP Logged
76doublebass
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 05/06/09 at 07:36:19

Well I had another tweaky thought come to my mind today. Now I replaced the plastic wal duplex guard on the receptacle with a steel one to control vibrations. I was looking for brass but I could only find the steel at Lowes. I also went a step furhter bought some double sided sticky tape and cut up small pieces of my Deflex Paneling asorbing material and stuck that to the back of the plate and the front.
The music is flowing effortlessly now.With added body and richness to all notes. I can relly hear the correct sound of stringed instruments for the first time in a very long time. The last time I heard something this real was many years ago listening to a CAT Signature preamp with an RM-9 Amp and a 30 K golmund Reference turntable.
I never thought I would ever come close to that sound . Well I think I'm on my way now.
  I can hear absolutely no noise even with the volume cranked almost all the way up with my ear next to the ribbon tweeter.
It is very very quiet.
Well Happy Listening
Don C.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #28 - 06/12/09 at 13:43:44

Still too quiet around here.  I'm pretty sure I heard myself think.

IP Logged
Stone Deaf
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 06/12/09 at 22:32:26

I use wood (walnut actually) receptical and switchplate covers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 06/12/09 at 22:44:40

That's interesting.

Walnut is a beautiful wood.  Not that big a fan of the "burled" walnut though.

I'm the grandson of a cabinet-maker and I know that on his side at least four generations before him all the men worked in wood (my great great great great great grandfather was the pipe organ builder David Tannenberg). http://www.davidtannenberg.com/  Probably were cabinte makers in the family long before then.  But . . . I never learned how to do much with wood.  I should at least whittle! Smiley

IP Logged
mike_gagne
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 06/13/09 at 07:52:09

If you want to work with wood, Lon, you had better hurry. We are sort of running out of the venerable stuff. All the really high quality sorts are in short supply causing a high price/demand response. We are using woods from Africa instead of the old line American beauties. Walnut? High priced! Big leaf curly maple? Same story... Even oak and poplar, traditionally cheap resources, are becoming pricey. The culprit is not the real use of the material but the waste of them for use in paper and fire wood. Whole countries have been voided of highly desirable species-Indonesian Rosewood used up as concrete forms, Luan-gone and not replanted but replaced with palm oil plantations-25 million acres worth, Honduras mahogany, same story and brought to you by the same multinational corporations. As a cabinetmaker we are cutting veneer  now where we used to use solids. Hardwood brush instead of trees is starting to look desirable. I love wood and have made a living with the stuff. I am very concerned about what we are facing now.     mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 06/13/09 at 12:42:32

Mike, thanks for putting that in perspective.

There is a lot of reason to be concerned.  Let's hope that there is something for our descendants.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print