Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 05:45:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
using different woods in the same box (Read 4052 times)
E350
Ex Member

using different woods in the same box
02/25/09 at 22:41:00

hello, got a question. is it okay to use different woods in the same box? well i got scrap pieces of 3/4" particle wood and scrap pieces of 3/4" 5 layer plywood. is it going to hurt the output that much? i got enough scrap pieces of both woods to make a whole box. right now money is tight to go out and buy a full sheet of mdf, i would love to. any opinions would be much appreciated. thank you. Undecided

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: using different woods in the same box
Reply #1 - 02/26/09 at 19:16:01

Not that it can't be done but I am skeptical of the out come. I am no fan of particle board. Once you have seen an enclosure with four 10"s explode you will prolly reframe from using it, at least I have stop using it.

Plywood on the other hand is not a bad choice but it has its drawbacks. Plywood often has a resonance frequency that can hamper performance or so I have been told.

If I was going to the trouble to build WO I would haft to use MDF. This is just my opinion. I understand all too good about money being tight . If you are just wanting to experiment with what you got I say go for it. I am a firm believer that you don't know what it will sound like until it is built and playing. Build it and BOOM !!!

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print