03/29/24 at 09:14:26 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
opinions please (Read 5926 times)
David
Ex Member

opinions please
02/18/09 at 12:08:06

Hey guys, I built a WO about two years ago and want to buy some new drivers for it. Its a full size WO 36X36 and I just want a really nice pair, I have been looking at alpine type X's, also the rockford T1's. I am after really low frequency response with good sound quality, and plenty of volume if possible. Any opinions would be great, otherwise if you can recommend another driver in the same price range that would do the job better i would love to check it out.
Cheers
David

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: opinions please
Reply #1 - 02/18/09 at 13:00:59

I have had the best luck with this sub:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-462

I have one WO (36x36) that is very impressive loaded with two HOs. Peaks are around 40Hz and 50Hz depending on the material used. It will will play down to 30Hz no problem but 20Hz and 25Hz are not as pronounced as I would like them to be. We are talking about a 10" subwoofer so low end response is not bad but not quite what a 15" can do. I also have a WO410(36x32x27) which holds four of the Dayton HOs. The output on it is enough to make one feel a little funny if not down right sick. It is not like I am going to hurl but the sensation is unusally. If you would like more info let me know.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
David
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/09 at 06:00:20

Hey thanks for the input, yes please I would like more info if that is possible. I am not so much after enormous SPL, however making things go blurry is fun Haha mostly great sound quality and plenty of super low frequencies around 20-40Hz. I understand this is hard to achieve with a 10" sub, which is why I was leaning towards the type x or the T1 as they are rated down to about 22Hz, plus they have large power handling and x-max, which combined with the gain I get from the WO should give me plenty of SPL too. I am not too worried about prices I just want the best pair of subs for the job. Any input is appreciated.
David

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #3 - 02/19/09 at 12:11:42

Not to get your hopes up but these readings are taken directly in front of the mouth of the WO36(two HOs) about 6" to 8" away from center. I also elevated the enclosure to cut down on floor gain.

20Hz --- 100db
25Hz --- 109db
31Hz --- 114db
40Hz --- 119db
50Hz --- 125db
63Hz --- 118db
80Hz --- 108db
100Hz -- 100db

Peak --- 126.7db

This is an old test with the crossover set a little to high(around 70Hz). The material used was WOTW, scene starting at 15:50 on the dvd timer. The readings come from a Phonic PAA2 and I feel they are close to accurate (+/- 3db @ 300 watts). I try to take the measurements close to keep room problems out of the results.

The WO is a forgiving design but the subs with X-max around or above 10mm and low Vas seem to perform better for the WO. This is my opinion and I am sure other subs would work for this most excellent design. I am willing to bet the subs you mention will work great if not better than the HOs.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print