Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
opinions please... (Read 8174 times)
Brewboy
Ex Member

opinions please...
11/30/08 at 00:04:31

Hi all,
I am planning to build a WO 36x36x14 and loading it with a pair of pioneer 12in A30IR50-51F and powering it with a Dayton HPSA500 from parts express. I also have an inductor coil that was given to me, that I was going to put in the box, I don't know the specs on the coil, but it's 2 1/2 inches tall, 1 in air core and the winding is 3/4 in thick, looks like 16 gauge wire. Comments please about this arrangement.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Re: opinions please...
Reply #1 - 12/04/08 at 12:12:51

You will not need the coil with the adjustments you will have on the amp. This is some of the features on the amp you mention.

High power class AB output stage
Patented tracking downconverter power supply
Full parametric bass EQ  <<<<<<<<
Phase reversal switch
Advanced soft clip circuitry
Toroidal power supply transformer
Auto On/Off
Power output: 273 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 540 watts RMS @ 4 ohms
S/N ratio: 98 dB (A weighted)
Crossover: 30 - 200 Hz, 24 dB/octave <<<<<<<<
Dimensions: 11-15/16" W x 11-15/16" H x 5-1/4" D

Between the parametric eq and the crossover should be plenty of adjustments. Just my two cents.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Brewboy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/06/08 at 00:01:31

I agree that I don't need the coil, however the drivers while rated at 8 ohm measure 6 with a tester, wired parallel that nets 3 ohm, the amp is rated at 4 to 8. Wired in series that is 12 ohm, still out of spec. The inductor adds 3 ohm, so the thinking is wired in parallel with the coil nets me 6 ohm. Is my thinking flawed in this regard?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #3 - 12/08/08 at 16:21:29

Three ohms is just enough. I have run several subwoofers around the 3 to 3.5 ohm on different plate amps and had no problems. I would test it out by hooking everything up and push the volume a litttle hard. If the amp gets hot quickly(15 minutes or less) I would maybe use the coil. I still think you will have no problems as is.

HT-EXT

IP Logged
Brewboy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/16/08 at 19:38:25

So I'm done with the build, I would have taken pictures of the build but it happened so fast that it was over in just over three hours, thanks to a highly accurate tablesaw. I covered the cabinet with charcoal PA style carpet with plastic corners and slim metal handles. It really was easy to get a professional looking result with the carpet. Since there was no room to mount the plate amp in the box, I built another  box for the amp and wrapped it with carpet also, looks nice. I chose not to use the inductor coil, however I did wire the speakers in parallel to raise the impedance

My first impression of the box was " it's not working right" because I could not hear the bass, but I sure could FEEL the bass. After time I realized what I could not hear, was the box. What I am used to listening to is the poorly built, consumer grade boxes that rattle and vibrate, just so you know that they are there. I just figured that this was an unavoidable "feature" of bass boxes. This box is so solid that  the sound appears to come from the ground and not the "black box in the corner".  It makes me question other things that I have taken for granted in the audio world, but do I really want to go down this road, questing for the perfect sound? Or should I slowly back up and accept that some times, ignorance is bliss?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #5 - 12/18/08 at 11:50:44

I would keep moving forward. Going back has always got me in trouble. I felt the same when built my first WO36. I started out using basspass enclosures(car audio) for my HT because that was what I was use to and thought it would be the ultimate. How wrong I was. I built the WO36 and used the cheapest 10" woofer I could find. The bass was OK but needed a little more. Adrian D. finally made me see that cheap is not always the best way to go. I broke down and purchase two Dayton 10" HOs. Needless to say the car audio enclosures were sold soon after and my system had step up to the next level of extreme. Once you have heard a WO32 or WO36 with the proper equipment install and enough power to push them you will never be able to go back.

HT-EXT

Grandpa said: " Look over the ignorant and tame the wild"

I would like for some one to try and tame me instead of look over me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print