Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 12:36:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hi Steve, per our conversation the other day..... (Read 11480 times)
djn
Ex Member

Hi Steve, per our conversation the other day.....
10/22/08 at 02:43:30

I found online that the minimum ported box volume for the EV SP-15 is 4-8 CU FT.  I am below that with the standard 1950s design.  I will cut out a 12" X 12" door between the two chambers.  I sure that will help a lot.  Cheers.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Hi Steve, per our conversation the other day.....
Reply #1 - 10/25/08 at 01:12:00

Yes, I'll be anxious to see what changes...

WWW   IP Logged
tubino
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/16/09 at 22:22:39

In my simplistic view, the chamber behind the driver and before the throat needs to compress air in order for the horn to work.  If the Vas of the driver isn't a lot bigger than the chamber, there won't be any compression, and it won't work like a horn (though it might work some other way).

In my setup, the Vas of the driver (Altec 515E) is MANY times greater than the compression chamber (1.1 cu ft.), and I get SPL of 115-118 db in the horn mouth with just a few watts.

I wonder if the ratio of Vas to chamber size is meaningful?  Seems like it would be...

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 02/17/09 at 17:06:57

Hi Tubino,

The Imperial is a rear-loaded folded horn so the chamber behind the driver is vented to the throat of the horn flare.   Increasing it's size, as was the recommendation above, can have the effect of allowing the driver to either gain or loose efficiency at low frequencies depending of course on the driver used.  The relationship between VAS and chamber volume is to a large degree what determines the resonance of the driver.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
tubino
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/18/09 at 04:25:05

Thanks, Steve!  In my case, the Vas of the Altec 515 (23.5 cu ft) is literally 20 TIMES the chamber size (~1.1 cu ft if I'm measuring the right space).  If I'm not including enough area behind the driver, it's still got to be > 10:1, Vas to chamber.  This seems to be working well, but I suspect it's got more bumps in the FR than if chamber and throat were optimized.  I wish there were some rules of thumb to guide me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print