03/28/24 at 17:09:20 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP1 vs CSP2 (Read 4852 times)
TomekZ
Ex Member

CSP1 vs CSP2
10/08/08 at 19:19:15

Steve's white paper about the CSP 2 says the new one is "slightly" better.

Also considering they use different circuitry techniques, the original using a Cathode Follower and the newer Shunt Regulated Push Pull, I'd imagine they sound very different.

Is there a generalization about the sound differences between these two topographies? Each must have virtues & drawbacks.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: CSP1 vs CSP2
Reply #1 - 10/11/08 at 04:34:44

TomekZ

In my opinion, the CSP2 is slightly better, but in a lot of ways!

Bass is tighter, imaging, more focused and the detail is much cleaner, more focused, yet as smooth as you could imagine.
   The CSP2 is a lot more dynamic, with certain tubes, yet can be way laid back, with another set of tubes, which I don't think I heard as much difference tube rolling in the CSP.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #2 - 10/11/08 at 07:37:33

Edited:
Hi Zig,

Firstly, Zig, thx for replying!

My guess is the CSP"2" is quite different from the "1".

Secondly, I've had issues with several wonderful sounding and rare 5Y3's living much shorter than ordinary lives in my CSP1, and I wonder if your CSP2 has been friendly to 5Y3's (perhaps more so than my CSP1)?

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/11/08 at 18:48:28

I've never heard the CSP1 and don't remember if it features the gain controls per channel that CSP2 does.

These are perhaps the most unique and versatile and possibly worthwhile feature of the preamp. . . you can really tailor the sound with these in subtle and important ways.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #4 - 10/11/08 at 21:35:11

Hi Karl,

I haven't replaced my rectifier tube in either CSP,  I  pretty much leave it on 24/7, when it is in the system, which its in more than out. You kind of feel like something is missing when not in use. I found that the CSP2 works with all the Decware amps, which I didn't find with the CSP. I got the CSP to replace my line stage (ZLSA) for a set of "C"'s that were strapped into mono blocks. It didn't seem to work that well with the original blue Torri-I. On the other hand the CSP2 works great with it as well as the Torri-II and my Taboo.

Lon,

The CSP also had the  pots, they were under the hood, so to speak. Steve putting them on top, made it great for adjusting the balance, which from time to time I notice one input tube being a little shy.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 10/12/08 at 15:01:36

Bob,

Yes, and as I discovered a week or so ago and Steve has made clear to me further this week those gain pots can really transform sound by dialing in a match to any source. . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print