Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 02:40:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bendix 6106 in a Zen 84CS EX ( heavily modded ) (Read 6351 times)
SoundBound
Verified Member

Bendix 6106 in a Zen 84CS EX ( heavily modded )
10/08/08 at 01:41:32

Awhile back I had read some readers' comments about how good the Bendix 6106 sounded in their Zen 84CS amp.  So, I set about shopping eBay and bought one.  Had it in there for awhile and thought I was happy.  Well something did not sound right in the amp, especially with vinyl.  Sound was harsh at high energy passages, sounded distorted.  Because I had just got my vinyl system back up and running and was testing some new garage sale vinyl finds, I thought the LPs were the problem or perhaps my low cost phono preamp.

Well, I was not convinced it could be so bad.  So I took out the 6106 and put back the original stock rectifier.  Aaaaah, the world was good again (well at least in my sound system, not the economy).  Dynamic response returned, distortion mostly gone, volume and beautiful full panoramic sound.

So, is the Bendix a bad match for this amplifier or do I have a bum tube (not that one, the glass one ! )?  I thought the Bendix 6106 were indestructible.  How can I test the 6106 if it is thought to be a bad one?

Oh, the glory of wonderful vinyl and cheap record finds !  I just built a record cleaning machine and can now finally go through all my bargain records and discover my new 'treasures'.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Re: Bendix 6106 in a Zen 84CS EX ( heavily modded )
Reply #1 - 06/20/09 at 01:10:14

Yo, Soundbound,

I'll quote here from the notes appended to a pdf of the SE84CS schematic.

As follows:

"If a 5Y3GT rectifier is used, the output tubes cathode resistor should be changed from 100 ohms to 150 ohms."

Your Bendix 6106 (a military rugged-ized version of the 5Y3) is a fine rectifier, indeed, but perhaps replacing the cathode resistor would set things straight. I believe the confusion as to which rectifier can be used arises when comparing the SE84CS to the SE84C. The "CS" can use the 5U4, GZ32 and others, while the "C" is confined to the 5Y3 family, which includes your 6106.

Cheers,
Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
SoundBound
Verified Member

Re: Bendix 6106 in a Zen 84CS EX ( heavily modded )
Reply #2 - 06/21/09 at 15:43:29

Thanks Veryoldcat:

Makes good sense and clears the question for me.  Thanks for finding that grain of wisdom and letting me know.  I think I will keep the Bendix for another project, my modified CS is sounding good with my old rectifier and I will just keep it that way for now.

rs

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print