03/29/24 at 15:52:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Angled-down speakers (Read 3807 times)
mojoyoyo
Ex Member

Angled-down speakers
08/08/08 at 16:20:28

In setting up a room, is there a benefit in placing the speakers high(er), say wall-mounted, and angled down.  The reason I ask is that it seems that with this configuration, all waves would take one bounce behind the listener and then be absorbed by the carpet/pad.  If the goal is to hear only direct energy then this seems ideal.

Am I missing something(s)?

IP Logged
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Re: Angled-down speakers
Reply #1 - 12/09/08 at 07:00:53

The best is, place large speakers at ear level (1m above the ground when you're sitting) Subwoofers on the ground of course and if you want to fill the room completely mount small speakers (10" or smaller) high up on the wall. If they are angled down, they are quieter, because the wall itself can add up to some more db if the speaker points to the other corner of the wall (Basically: Front-Right points to rear-right and front-left points to rear-left). In my case, I have four speakers in each corner and a Sub.
If you have a large room (50sq metres or more), the best you can have are Horns, or at least folded horns.

Visit www.ambiophonics.org for a better sound!
  IP Logged
Azul Shiva

Visit
www.ambiophonics.org
for a better sound!

Re: Angled-down speakers
Reply #2 - 12/15/08 at 09:05:28

I informed myself of angled-down speakers and to calculate that is even more complicated than anything else; even Horns or diffusion-speakers or the room-treatment are easier to calculate.
Better focus on something else. In a listening room you don't really need that.

Regards,

Visit www.ambiophonics.org for a better sound!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print