Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:49:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Wedge?  no forum... (Read 12598 times)
bayrat
Ex Member

The Wedge?  no forum...
04/07/08 at 06:33:59

I am not quite finished with the install yet..but The Wedge sounds great...plenty of SQ plus plenty of SPL.....really gets way down in low frequency....I havent heard such lows since I use to have 15"s.......I've been going through all my old music to find the ones with the low frequency...... I used to push each system to the edge...I think this on has me on the edge...when did I get that old?

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/ptptbayrat/100_0107.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/ptptbayrat/100_0101.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/ptptbayrat/100_0105.jpg

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Re: The Wedge?  no forum...
Reply #1 - 04/07/08 at 20:46:45

v.nice

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/16/08 at 07:19:14

Good looking setup Cheesy

IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/22/08 at 03:56:09

Finished for now....This is my wifes car. She insisted on using the factory head unit, because it had sirrus satelite at the time. Now I may be looking to upgrade to a new one. Here are 2 more pics that show the Wedge trimmed out and complete.....

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/ptptbayrat/100_0239.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/ptptbayrat/100_0238.jpg

IP Logged
unieko
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/05/08 at 10:32:36

hi bayrat im currently building a wedge what spl reading are u currently getting - is the box a good choice for a high spl gain like in the 150db region?

IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/06/08 at 05:25:00

No spl readings as of yet...but I really like the SQ.....it plays really low frequencys....I have a pair of Audiobahn 12s...and I am really happy with them...as for the spl.....well if you are going into competition with it....I havent checked....but if you want just about all the bass you can get with 12s then this is your box.....I know that it has no problem shaking the wipers on the front windshield...the rearview mirror will not stay in position...and it tends to make the factory headunit skip on a few songs...Mind you all of this is with some inexpensive Performance Teknique amps 772 and 773 with Audiobahn 12s..the flame ones...400 watt dual 4 ohm voice coils....a line output converter from walmart and the factory headunit....oh yeah..and a clarion eq with crossover ....

IP Logged
aznboi3644
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/07/08 at 09:38:09

If you are trying to break the 150's...I wouldn't recommend a sealed enclosure at all.  Unless you have a wall with multiple subs and a huge amount of power

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #7 - 05/08/08 at 12:53:01

I have to agree with aznboi on this one. Any sealed configuration (even a band pass with a sealed rear chamber) is too inefficient for high SPLs. Getting past 145 or so requires a huge amount of power in almost any vehicle unless you use an enclosure that gives you a higher system efficiency. That's the name of the game in SPL. You have to make super use of every available watt of power.

Sound quality and some SPL are pretty easy. Great SQ or great SPL becomes quite a challenge. Competitors can be fanatical.

That being said, the wedge is a terrific design. Very versatile and forgiving. Good SQ and SPL and even helps save equipment.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
stevebower
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 06/28/08 at 13:41:36

I have just built a Wedge - anyone any recommendations for whether I should fill with wadding, & how much?
Cheers
Steve

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #9 - 07/10/08 at 17:50:01

Kind of depends on the drivers you use, but I never filled any of mine with any sort of wadding.

Try it without and see how you like it. Typically it will tune low enough that wadding won't make any difference,

Let us know how you like it!

Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
stevebower
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 07/11/08 at 17:03:04

These are my 1st thoughts running off 600w Diamond amp with 2x SPL Dynamics units all wired in parallel (1ohm). Car is Merc E300 estate.

1) Plenty of volume, not much transient 'impact' though. Am going to add 1F cap to amp power.
2) Good extension, but uneven response with a definite 'peak' Needs xover tuning, but wondering if is standing wave in car?
3) Not much articulation to bassline. Everything a bit 'one note'. Partly due to boom?
4) Got to add spacer strips under box - speakers cone roll edges almost touching carpet.

Having said all that, I have NO experience of other boxes, so could be brilliant! Or, I could have built badly! I'll try to get a listen to other units, & the head unit (Eclipse) needs setting up by pro, so will get their opinion.

Any comments/advice anyone? Any recommendation for test music & description of what I should be hearing.

Ta
Steve

PS I'll post a pic once I've got the amp wiring tidied

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #11 - 07/14/08 at 17:54:33

Just did a similar install in a grand prix yesterday with the same thoughts on sound. It doesn't get the kick drums or the "transients" very well. I think it is inherent to downfiring designs. It is also inherent to certain vehicles too. In the mercedes, the best I have done is to use a fast woofer and a well designed enclosure and fire it up through the deck lid or package trays. It can take some cutting to get it to work well, but the loading allows the drivers to produce more of the sound than the car panels.

I wouldn't say it is a one note box, but it definitely has limited band width in certain applications. Loud and low, no problems though.

Take care,
Robert

musgofasa   IP Logged
stevebower
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 07/22/08 at 09:31:39

Here are a few pics of the install FYI:

The sub itself:

View of the boot:

The amp install:

Steve

(Later note: I've now added wadding to the box, so this has definitely helped to smooth the response.)

IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 07/30/08 at 16:42:57

Well its taken me quite some time to go ahead make the decision to add an aftermarket headunit Pioneer DEH 4600 something....lots of sound control to adjust....after growing tired of stock it was time....I had some problems with making all the wiring compatible....but it was well worth it.....before I had very little control of my sound with both the low end of my eq and the high end....my bass has tightened up considerably....I have lowered my xover and used the bass eq on the amp and am quite pleased with this box...I have always used 15s in a sealed box...sometimes in a isobarak configuration....the Wedge is doing an excellent job of satisfying my expectations.....my only drawback is mounting my amp on top of the box....I followed the directions....but It still flexes to much and now has caused a rattle in one of my amps....next project will be the Lowrider...wonder what the comparison will be?.....

IP Logged
bayrat
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/09/08 at 21:39:24

Due to circumstances beyond the body repair people the PT cruiser is out of business.....no more wedge set-up.....so now the only options left are a single cab F150....(truckbox)...or a extended cab GM truck...??..no Decware design for that.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print