Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 11:19:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will the deathbox be what I need? (Read 11687 times)
RockyMountain_Pyro
Ex Member

Will the deathbox be what I need?
03/10/08 at 08:34:34

How's it going everybody? I was previously a member but forgot my login info. Anyway, I finished installing a system in my 2001 Dodge Dakota quad cab, and I'm happy with the fronts, but not the sub. The problem is we can't get the sub to load good. It's a 12" TC9 receiving around 1200 watts in a 1.2cf. sealed box. We've tried down firing it, firing it towards the rear, firing it up, to the side, etc.  Therefore, it's not as loud as it can (and needs) to be. The sub can't keep up with the fronts.In a different vehicle it gets really loud, but in this truck it sounds like I have 300 watts on it, not 1200+.

Equipment: Head unit: Alpine CDA-9813, Front mids: Seas CA18RNX's (in deadened doors), "tweets": Illusion Audio drivers on ID mini bodies (horns), US Acoustics 4080 bridged on mids., PPI Art A300.2 on the horns, viper D2500.1 for the sub.

Most of what I listen to is some form of rock or metal, but not always. I love the tight accurate bass of the sealed box, but the output leaves a lot to be desired.

Now for the million dollar question.I've never really put a "real" system in an extended cab or quad cab truck before, but so far I haven't been able to get this sub/box combo sound right. Will switching to a death box help solve my loading issue? From what I've read it'll meet my expectations in the SQ department, so I'm not too concerned about that.

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Re: Will the deathbox be what I need?
Reply #1 - 03/10/08 at 09:25:50

I'm sure it will be more then you expect, but I never heard a DB12"
I do have a DB10" with only cheap drivers and it's in the living room now Roll Eyes But It sounds good like that, so if it would be in a car, with better drivers and the 12" box version..... Cool

Go for it! (the DB2 12" I mean, not the smaller DB10")

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/11/08 at 01:30:06

1200 wrms on a tc9 and its not loud?

somethings very wrong in your system,

ive run death boxes sealed boxes and ported boxes, the death box has its own sound (very accurate) but doesnt get louder than either of the other styles of box with the same power.

check all your settings, wiring, coils (dvc?)

IP Logged
aznboi3644
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/11/08 at 07:15:14

Aren't the TC9 drivers meant for large sealed enclosures??

IP Logged
brian84corvette
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/13/08 at 20:02:20

there has got to be something wrong with the setup if its not getting loud on 1200 watts.

test #1 is break out your multi meter tester and set it to ohm reading.
un hook the speaker + and - from the amp and hook them on the ohm meter.
see what your ohms are. ( test them exactly as you have it now - just un hook the wires from your amp first- )
im guessing somewhere between 4 and 8 ohms you will get -
if so thats the problem - dual voicecoils wired in series instead of paralell.
amps have a hard time pushing alot of power at higher ohm ratings.
a single amp rated at 1200w might only give off around 300w at 4 ohm
but give off 675w at 2 ohm   or 1200w at 1 ohm.

check your ground wire on the amp as well.
ive heard that amps perform like poo with bad ground wires. -  to test this you may run a leingth of wire ( good size wire is better ) from the battery - terminal to the amp ground -   so its directly hardwired to ground wich is battery - post.     check then and see if you get any better results.  ( dont worry about seriously running the wire permanently from the bat to the amp until you have varified that it actually does improve the performence -   then its time to play "hide and run the wire"  wich I hate doing....

let us know what it turns out like.
a single 12" tc9 should totaly rock the house.

IP Logged
RockyMountain_Pyro
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/14/08 at 04:10:20

The sub is a dual 2 ohm wired in series for a 4ohm, which should be around 1,200-1,400 watts from the viper.

Everything is set up good, I just think I'm expecting too much out of it in a sealed box. But since you mentioned the ground, I run a dual battery set-up, I have 2 runs of 1/0 from the front to the back, one for power and one for ground, power wire is fused with a 300A fuse.The ground up front has been improved as well.

This box is maybe .2cf. smaller than the optimum sealed box size for this sub.No air leaks, etc.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Seasoned Member

NYUK NYUK NYUK

Reply #6 - 03/14/08 at 13:55:23

I think a DB is a excellent design but I am thinking maybe a ported enclosure would work better. The seal box for that sub needs to be around 1.5 to 2.5 cf. A ported enclosure, depending on the ports, should be 2.5 to 5 cf. If this is not accurate please someone correct me. That is just a rough estimate without the speaker specs. I think the enclosure you are using is a tad on the small side but sealed enclosures are not my favorite. If you have enough room I would try ported first. I have heard a DB in a 4-door truck and it was loud but just a little muddy. It could have been due to system settings or the subwoofer that was used. Of course you never know a DB might be exactly what you need. My advice to everyone is build it and let your ears decide.

HT-EXT

" I TRY TO THINK BUT NUT'EN HAPPENS! " CURLY
  IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/15/08 at 16:15:07

I would port the TC9 if output isn't enough Smiley

BTW, damn nice setup. I love my ca18's and my 9813 Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print