Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 05:45:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cryo'd  6N15P-EVs...  impressions ? (Read 11698 times)
Rob

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Cryo'd  6N15P-EVs...  impressions ?
02/23/08 at 16:29:44

A  few  of  you have  purchased  pairs of these  tubes  from me, and I was  wondering  your  impressions. A  few folks have  said  they  take a little  time to warm-up to their  best  sound. I have  found that  to be a small bit true. Firing up a fresh  pair,leaving the  amps on over the weekend and  doing a  good  amount of listening has  done the  trick for me.

I was  curious to get  your feedback, and  to  let  folks know  I have a few more  pairs  remaining for sale in the  Decware  classifieds.

If  there is  more interest in these, or  doing  a  "group buy" I  would  consider  working  with the  gent in Russian and the  cryo lab here in the US  to  maybe  do a  bulk purchase and  see  if  we  could  get the  price  down to about $18-19/tube(including  shipping), instead of $22.

Let me know....

Happy listening........
Rob

(2) SE84C-Selects
HDTs w/Aurum Cantis Ribbons on home-made 2" solid maple plinths
Sunfire True Sub(x'ed@42hz/o gain)
Shanling CDT100(hot-modded)
PSAudio 600
Custom 99.999% silver sprk cables & ICs
Decware silver/teflon "Y"
Lots-a-tubes,cones & spikes
  IP Logged
Yoda

I ride!

Re: Cryo'd  6N15P-EVs...  impressions ?
Reply #1 - 02/29/08 at 06:57:58

These are good.  I'm running a pair of strapped CS's into HDT-2s, and I am really pleased w/ the tubes.  Great performance across the spectrum, and a nice complement to the v-caps.  I'm just really pleased w/ the overall system right now.

Matt

Decware HDT-Alt tuning, Hagtech Cymbals
Hagerman: Chime Gold DAC; Castanet Line Stage; Cornet II, Piccolo, Thorens TD160 w/ Rega Rb300; Oracle Alexandria II TT, Mayware F4 arm w/Soundsmith-Denon dl-103, Yamaha T-1 Tuner
Many fostex experiments....
  IP Logged
jonjin
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/03/08 at 17:18:03

I'm abit confused about the tube numbers... When I do a search for EL84s, I get the 6N14P rather than the 6N15P. Is the former better and equivalent to the Russian EL84M?

JJ

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #3 - 03/03/08 at 18:04:26

Hello JJ,

The 6n15 varieties are SV83 types, while the 6n14 varieties are EL84 types. In most instances they are interchangeable, but they are different tube types, the most noticeable difference being the screen grid on the SV83 types are much more fragile than the EL84 types, meaning you cannot use the SV83 types in a UL configuration, which of course has no bearing in this application.

The two tubes have a different " house sound ". To my ears, the SV83 sounds a little faster and lighter in weight, while the EL84 tends to be a little more lush in its presentation. They will both work just fine in your amp. I would buy a couple of each and see which you preferred. Just make sure that whichever you buy carries the -ev or -eb suffix, as these are the military versions and are superior tubes to the normal varieties.

Cheers,                Crazy Bill            :)

IP Logged
jonjin
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/03/08 at 18:31:56

Thanks again Bill. I did do a search on the internet but your explanations are always much better and more relevant!

I do have a particular weakness for EL84s, they are quite sweet sounding in nature.

JJ

IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/04/08 at 00:24:48

jonjin wrote on 03/03/08 at 17:18:03:
I'm abit confused about the tube numbers... When I do a search for EL84s, I get the 6N14P rather than the 6N15P. Is the former better and equivalent to the Russian EL84M?

JJ

6p14p-ev = EL84M = 7189 and it's quite decent.
6p14p = EL84 and not very good.  The good current production EL84/6BQ5 is the JJ.
6p15p = SV83.
6p15p-ev is highest military grade.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #6 - 03/05/08 at 03:17:43

I'd like to emphasize that the cryoed version of this tube is a big improvement to my ear. Really opens up the upper mids and highs by direct comparison. Still strange to me the diff would be so great, but it's very obvious...

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #7 - 03/05/08 at 13:59:45

Ditto to Karl's thoughts on the cryo version. Absolutely a necessity, imho. I'll be sending all my good tubes away to be cryoed in the future.

Cheers,           Crazy Bill                   Smiley

IP Logged
cervelorider
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 03/21/08 at 05:15:57

I received a pair a couple of weeks ago for my Select EX and I love them!

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print