Send Topic Print
New Zen Amp Kit ! (Read 10265 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

New Zen Amp Kit !
02/17/08 at 01:10:51

After reviewing the many suggestions in this forum we are looking forward to designing many D.I.Y. kits! Here is the first one, the SE84CDIY to start things off!

https://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CDIY.htm

And we are creating a dedicated support forum for it at the same time.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=SE84CDIY

Enjoy!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Re: New Zen Amp Kit !
Reply #1 - 02/17/08 at 01:22:23

Nicely done!

A suggestion, if I may.  There is only a few cents difference in the cost of UF4007s compared to 1N4007s, but there is considerable difference in the sonic performance.  UF diodes generate a lot less "hash", which results in a BETTER sounding, blacker, background.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #2 - 02/17/08 at 17:49:49

My suggestion is to see if there is some way to offer an optional cage to bolt down over the top, for people with curious children and curious pets. It's one thing to have tubes exposed, but quite another to have the B+ exposed Huh

Just a thought...

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #3 - 02/17/08 at 20:44:20

Perhaps something from here: http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg22.htm ?
                                                                                              Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
slappomatt
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/08 at 01:47:35

this is really exciting. I miss my old zen C. and the price is right! I think when I build one I will mount it in a metal chassis and will upgrade the binding post and rca jacks. possibbly add 2-3 inputs. looks great!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 04/03/08 at 00:58:46

Eli Duttman wrote on 02/17/08 at 01:22:23:
Nicely done!

A suggestion, if I may.  There is only a few cents difference in the cost of UF4007s compared to 1N4007s, but there is considerable difference in the sonic performance.  UF diodes generate a lot less "hash", which results in a BETTER sounding, blacker, background.

Excellent comment - I completely agree.   This is after all a product to get newbies hooked into the hobby so you have to leave them something to upgrade.   Wink

But then there is the other side of the coin, why not make it sound better for the guy who is simply going to assemble and listen to it - a non-tweaker if you will. In that light, we will be shipping future orders with the UF4007's per your suggestion!

Thanks!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #6 - 04/03/08 at 23:29:38

Wow  :o

This is what makes Steve and Decware the great company that it is. From anyone else, I would have expected a negative reply, honestly. I have to say I might have expected no reply from any company with profit as their main reason for existence. Not only has he taken your suggestion, but even implemented it with thanks. That is a sign that the true goal is to provide better product to a customer and that Steve has no motives or delusions.

Whether I buy one or not, this truly sets a standard. I honestly wouldn't know if this is better or not, but the fact that Steve has said he would take the comment and run with it speaks volumes for him and the company.

Thanks for being you Steve. I hope others realize how this sets you apart from most (if not all) other manufacturers on the planet.

Take care,
Robert

Edit,

I don't know if I said all that the way I meant to. The point to me has nothing to do with the cost of the part. It wouldn't matter if the piece had cost many times more or even had it cost less. It is amazing that a manufacturer would take any sort of suggestion without being negative. The fact that Steve has taken the suggestion and even offered a thanks is just unheard of and I really think deserves so much notice. not sure how to express what I am thinking here, but to say thank you to Steve for not being like so many other people.

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print