Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 22:39:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Custom NFX speaker set for sale (Read 1612 times)
RFZ_Quest
Seasoned Member

Custom NFX speaker set for sale
02/01/08 at 04:20:28

MUST GO WITHIN 3 WEEKS!!! Priced very cheaply to go quickly! This is a special one-off pre-production set built by Ziggy himself. These are not constructed primarily from lesser grade MDF. The internal structure is built from high quality, much costlier 13-ply Baltic Birch which makes it vastly superior in strength with better sound quality. The veneer on the cabinet fronts is an exotic import grade.

These speakers come as shown without the Fostex drivers or rear terminal plates. Everything else including a set of the appropriate foam balls for internal damping are included. You only need to install your own drivers and these are ready for use. To construct a set of cabinets like these with the grade of material used, these would retail for several times over the asking price. These are priced well below value to compensate for the lack of drivers.

FREE ground shipping (up to $150.00) with reusable heavy duty custom containers (valued at over $100.00 alone) is included for price shown. That is a bonus value of $250.00 you save at my expense! This applies to selling price listed ONLY!

This is a one time bargain for a special set of speakers which are the only set of this design with this particular appearance package. The performance is the same as standard production models.

This sale ends in 3 weeks due to moving and storage demands  at the end of February. I will not be available after that time to prepare and ship these. They will simply go into long term storage or sold at local auction.

These are listed in the classified section. If interested, please e-mail me with any questions concerning these speakers.

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Seasoned Member

Re:  Custom NFX speaker set for sale
Reply #1 - 02/01/08 at 04:28:41

IP Logged
RFZ_Quest
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/01/08 at 04:31:09

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/01/08 at 20:58:09

If not already sold, I'll take em.

John C.

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/22/08 at 01:15:03

The speakers arrived today.

The shipping containers themselves are quite impressive.  I am going to start a seperate 'How To Ship Speakers' thread to show them.  My Audio Physic speakers weren't as well packed as these are.

I haven't unpacked them more than just the top of the crates, but from the way they are packed, I have no fears that they are safe inside.

I also ordered a pair of DFR8 today as well.

I was thinking of maybe one of the other full range 8's instead, Coral, Lowther, Feastrex, or maybe the new Seas, and then I came to my senses.

I almost got caught up in the "They must be better because they're more money" mindset.  All of the other speakers I mentioned are 6-10X as much as the DFR8.  I really owe it to myself to at least hear the speakers that the cabinets were designed around.

For anyone who has a pair of these:  What difference do you hear between 3 and 4 foam balls inside?

John C.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/22/08 at 02:11:22

Hotsauce wrote on 02/22/08 at 01:15:03:
 I really owe it to myself to at least hear the speakers that the cabinets were designed around.

agreed Cool

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/01/08 at 02:38:31

Waiting for the DFR8's to arrive, so I can't do much, but my binding posts got here today.  Those are the Dayton binding posts on a nice anodized panel.

I really hate the look of plastic terminal blocks, they sort of cheapen an otherwise nice speaker cabinet.  Now it looks as good as I hope it sounds.

John C.

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/07/08 at 12:29:54

The drivers arrived last night, and I quickly installed them.

I used 24ga silver wire in teflon sleeve, and twisted the pair.  I was careful to leave enough extra wire to allow room to add another foam ball if necessary.

I connected one completed speaker and let it play while I finished the other side.  With one NFX playing on my left, and one AP Scorpio playing on the other side, the difference in sensitivity made it seem as if the Scorpio wasn't even on.

Now with both playing, it sounded as if they were out of phase.  I switched the wires, yup.  I had wired red/right, and put both drives in the same way, but somehow one is out of phase with the way the AP's are wire.

I haven't had a chance to get the right position in the room yet to give any meaningful comments on how these sound, just a quick listen, before turning in.  Ove the weekend I'll let them play all day and set them up properly.

Pictures in next post.

John C.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/08/08 at 22:01:46

correct phase is a great place to start.:)

IP Logged
darkelf
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/16/08 at 16:09:36

Well that is  easy ... Red wire to red post ...
From what I have been playing with them is setting them
just right, and they seem pretty forgiving in that
respect in just how place them.

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/17/08 at 15:38:29

darkelf wrote on 03/16/08 at 16:09:36:
Well that is  easy ... Red wire to red post ...

sometimes equipment can have the red mark on the wrong side, much better to use your ears.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #11 - 03/17/08 at 17:57:11

LOL

In the decade that I sold speakers, I actually had about 10 pairs of drivers that came marked incorrectly from the manufacturer. The bad thing is that moving in the opposite direction isn't right or wrong, only backwards to the other driver that it was coupled with.

How many did we wire up backwards inside the boxes and then have to fix outside? lol who knows?

I  am waiting anxiously on the "review" of these beasts....

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #12 - 03/17/08 at 20:00:05

Yes, it has been 10 days since your last post!  I hate when work and other sh__ gets in the way  8-). I consider you one of the more rounded people on this forum with your stable of stuff and willingness to seize the day on these cabs and party......and hey, you got Maggie's too-I used to work there on the production floor before going back to college. Please post soon.

Stone of Tone  8-)

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/29/08 at 17:35:53

After having these a few weeks now, they've come to rest in the bedroom.    The DM944's are back in the computer system.

I still haven't had the time to experiment with the number of foam balls.  I still have 3 in each as the previous owner did.  

I'm also wondering exactly how the balls should sit in there.  They can be pushed all the way to the bottom till they touch, or can be wedged between the internal braces, not all the way down.  Does it make any difference.  

John C.

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/26/08 at 14:11:22

The speakers came with a total of 7 foam balls, and until now I've had only 3 in each speaker as the previous owner did.  

There was a certain thin sound to the bass that wasn't to my taste.  I've been waiting fot it to fill out as the drivers broke in, but it hasn't.  Steve also wrote in his papers that these speakers don't need breal in.

So, I did the free experiment, and added the 7th bal to the left speaker.

Immediatly the bass was fuller and richer.  It seems to play smoothly much lower now.  So, I go off on an epic search for an 8th ball.  I visited every sporting goods ans childrens store in a wide area.  I couldn't find the exact thing, so I finally settled on a Sponge Bob Square Pants soccer ball of similat size.  

I had to let a little bit of air out of it to fit it in.  I used it as the bottom ball.  

So, I prefer the sound with 4 balls in each speaker.  Your room, amps, or taste in music may prefer 3.

John C.

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/04/08 at 05:16:00

AOL has deleted all FTP space, and I'm unable to edit the old posts, so I'm reposting the picture.  

Quite a bit of time has passed since I got these speakers.  

The impression that remains is how smooth they are.  In this case though, smooth is not slow.  Too many speakers that sound fast have a very forward treble sound.  Not these.  

These are not the right speakers if you want to blast techno, and shake the silverware.  They do fine on modern rock though, and really shine on acoustic.  

John C.  

IP Logged
Glass-n-vinyl
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/01/09 at 15:47:39

You may find a foam ball in an arts and craft store where they do dry and silk flower arrangements.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print