Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:09:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NFX (or other) speaker builds (Read 12034 times)
hoosier1
Verified Member

NFX (or other) speaker builds
07/21/07 at 23:44:16

Hello folks,

I am contemplating a speaker build: the NFX or another open baffle design, I think.  I still have questions as to the performance of the NFX contrasted with another design.  I'm also interested in single-driver speakers, having read that many love the Hornshoppe Horns.  Amp is the CS84SE and preamp is the ZSLA-1 (although I'm considering the new CSP2).

BTW, my brother has a pretty nice wood shop (we've recently finished custom-made trim and cabinets for his new house; pretty nice!) and I think we might be able to swing the NFX design (I'm ready for mistakes!).

Any suggestions or comments.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

IP Logged
hoosier1
Verified Member

Re: NFX (or other) speaker builds
Reply #1 - 07/23/07 at 03:24:10

Just noticed that my comments relayed my interest in single-driver design.  I was thinking of open baffle and got confused.  I recognize that the NFX is a single-driver design.

So, from this can I expect several errors in construction?

Jim

IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/03/07 at 00:21:52

With the woodshop you have access to I think the NFX would be a good design to go for.  I have not heard an open baffle so I cannot compare.  Try both kinds, you cannot have enough speakers.  Experienced woodworkers taking their time to check their work should have no problem with the NFX build.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #3 - 08/03/07 at 18:06:33

Well,

I have heard the hornshoppe horns,
I have heard several other single driver designs.
I have asked people who have heard the NFX and others to compare.

I have heard akmost all the decware offerings except for the HDT and the NFX personally.

From what I have been told and from the feedback I have gotten, I really want to hear a pair of HDT's before I make a final decision.

The corner horns seem to have the absolute best reviews.

The NFX seems to have a great review too, but very little experience from the people I have asked.

This is a tough question. If you can swing it, buy all the plans and build several different ones and then let us know which one sounds best. The NFX is a tricky build. I might try one in another year or two just so I can see what I think of the sound.

Good luck,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/09 at 04:09:41

I have been looking at the NFX, because I do not want to dedicate the space to a generally wider open baffle.  However, I still do not have a good idea what the NFX can offer.  Since i have not heard the Fostex driver that Decware offers, I suspect that the Fostex based NFX is on the faster side?  Might like EL84s better than EL34s?

Can anyone who owns the NFX offer a description of the sound?  What equipment used?

Thanks.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #5 - 03/20/09 at 22:12:21

Tybee,

You might try PM'ing RFZQuest he built a pair while he was here and had some real good thoughts about them.  He  can probably convey what they sound like better than most.  If you don't get a response from the PM, PM me and I'll give you his e-mail address.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print