Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:02:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDT kit - normal or ALT tuning? (Read 8072 times)
smokingdrum
Ex Member

HDT kit - normal or ALT tuning?
01/15/08 at 08:51:59

Hi All!

I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on this for me. I bought the HDT kit last year (early 2007) but have only started to build it in the last month.

It seems there is now an "ALT tuning" which is not in the plans I have. Is is worth me changing to the ALT tuning, or sticking with the one in my plans?

If it is worth using the ALT tuning, where can I get some information about it? I understand it's just different passives and different lengths for the port tubes.

Many thanks,

John

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Re: HDT kit - normal or ALT tuning?
Reply #1 - 01/15/08 at 12:20:30

John,

It is just a difference in port tube length and passives, all new HDT's shipped from here are with the alternate tunning installed. Is it worth it, I say yes, many others, that bought the kit to change over there factory built speakers, say the same thing. If your not at the stage of having installed the ports, build it using 11" ports in place of the 6" ports and 17" ports in place of the 8" ports. You can order the passive from Decware, I believe the cost of them is $75 per the set of 4. If you choose to build, as per the plans you have, you can add the tube length to the ports with a coupler, cut out the old passives and glue in the new ones at a later date.

With the ALT. tunning the bass is deeper, and might just be a touch quicker sounding, which will make you think everyone that says, single driver speakers don't have any bass, don't know what they are talking about. Also with the ALT passives, since the passive are so close to the driver itself, there is a bit of midrange coming though the passives, not much, but if you get pretty close to a side wall, it could smear the mids, the ALT passives have a hard dome, which tends to diffuse the mids enough to make even close side wall reflections, from the passives, a non-issue.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
smokingdrum
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/15/08 at 13:32:38

Hi Bob,

I see you are as active on here as well as by email!

If it's just different length tubes I can easily change the lengths as I haven't cut and installed the tubes yet, so I will go for the ALT tuning and use the damping instructions you described to me. I'll order the new passives via the website.

Thanks for all your help, it's much appreciated. I will give the project a full writeup on my site, like I did for the WO32.

John

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #3 - 01/16/08 at 23:53:08

john,  i think that it is worth mentioning that 'rfz' has posted some ideas about building the hdt, calling it the 'hdt mk ii'. just looking at these amazing concepts is enough to make me want to build the cabinets all over again. so, before you start, take a peek at these ideas. i'm confident that you will not regret it.
                     greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print