Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:22:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
It just keeps getting better! CSP2 preamp. (Read 9753 times)
paulc
Ex Member

It just keeps getting better! CSP2 preamp.
12/09/07 at 23:38:17

While attending the recent Decfest I contracted with Mr. Deckert for a new CSP2 preamp.  To be honest my reasons for wanting the unit were for convenience (two inputs) more than any expected improvement to my present setup.   What the hey, I already had two SE84CS amps, How you gonna beat that?

Well, after two days of listening I'm here to tell you this bad boy sure is a cut above what I have been listening to.   Absolutely nothing I have done to this rig has had a more significant impact on the sound as this preamp has.

Not so very long ago I was ready to divest myself from vinyl.   What I was hearing was just not involving.   Surely not worth all the effort and expense.   Kiss that idea goodbye.   The CSP2 was the missing link.   The Rega arm will now get a upgrade with a Dynavector cartridge.   Heck, someday we may even try a better TT and phono-pre.

Thank you Steve and Devon for a great product.

dennis

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Re: It just keeps getting better!
Reply #1 - 12/10/07 at 02:45:48

Howdy Dennis,

After reading your post, it got me to thinking that the CSP2 is probably the reason that my newfound love affair with vinyl has taken place.  Over the years, I have auditioned a LOT of preamps in my system ..... and they did more damage to the music than good, even some pretty pricey ones .....  :P

Steve has been patiently trying to convince me for a long time to try one of his preamps.
I'm a stubborn sort at times ..... and regret the delay.

You wrote "Absolutely nothing I have done to this rig has had a more significant impact on the sound as this preamp has."  That sounded familiar ..... since those words also came from my own lips .....  :)

The trim pots alone are worth the price of admission.  With a gentle nudge, the lead vocals can be locked in space to the point that you can lean to the left or right and see behind the vocalist ..... very impressive .....  8-)

The added weight and benefit to the tonal balance of the Zen power amplifier has to be heard to be appreciated.  These pieces were made for each other ..... pure and simple.

Regards,

Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/10/07 at 11:43:54

Congratulations Dennis!

It took a while for the CSP2 to really excite me.  I think because I've lived with the ZBox since nearly it's release the CSP2 had to work harder to impress me.  The ZBox just cannot leave my system (it had to work hard to impress me, but boy has it).  If you want it to get better from here in. . . put a ZBox on your list.

Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/11/07 at 02:29:57

Hey Lon,

I could not agree with you any more about the value of the little ZBox.  We have unit #001 and not wanted to send it in for updates as it is just to important to the whole.   The new CSP2 has some time on it as I think Steve used it for testing on his bench.

There is a lot more invested here than was the original plan but I don't regret a single dollar spent.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 12/13/07 at 00:49:16

I could say the same.  I didn't envision a ZBox or CSP2 in my early planning, but glad to have them.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 12/13/07 at 04:17:55

well, it's about time to chime in on the csp2 and sv83s. i purchased both of these used on th' 'gon, and feel that it is a favor that someone else broke them in for me. they are working in conjunction with the hdt's, and those have quite a break-in time as i understand it. so, i got the mono amps first, and after using threshold t50, the change was most noticiable as 'less clinical' to me. at the time, i was using some spkrs. from besl(bamberg sound lab), and they were great except for the dynamics that i recal using horns many years prior....next, came the csp2, and the best thing there was a simplification of circuit as compared to an old cary slp-74. a little more open sound, but it was hard to really tel with the restriction of the besl's(think snell lcr7 xl as reviewed in the june 2006 stereophile).   so then, was the wait , and still is for the passive radiators, for the hdt's to be completed.
 then one fine day, the deed was done, at least enough to bring them in mule form, and give a listen. knowing that these would need adequate break-in, i tried to ignore the obvious, and just listen to soundstaging, depth. etc. it brought me back to the lost dynamics and presentation of horns. this time however, w/o the shout. to be sure, there was plenty of 'edge to be had, but in only a few days of continual listening, they are taming down quite nicely. more to come as things unfold........merry christmas everyone,   tiny tim...i mean greg

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 12/13/07 at 11:39:43

Hey Greg, congrats, sounds as if you'll soon be glued to your listening seat! Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print