04/16/24 at 10:45:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UNBOXING: Zen SE84ZS (Read 12693 times)
Kodakjello
Ex Member

UNBOXING: Zen SE84ZS
07/15/07 at 18:35:22

Yea!!! My amp arrived last Friday but I had to wait until Saturday afternoon to pick it up from the local post office. Let me first say that the pacakaging is excellent and that the amp arrived in PERFECT condition even with the rough handling USPS and Canada Post gave it. My first listening impressions are rather limited as it's still breaking in and I have it hooked up to some 30 year old Sony 8 ohm speakers (waiting for my Radial 15.s). However, even during these early days the sound is very, very smooth and these speakers are sounding better than they ever have! How 2.3 watts can go so loud and so clear is beyond me!
:D

So, for now, enjoy these images of the unboxing process for my new Zen Select. Once I receive the Radials ad get everything broken in, I'll post a detailed review of the combination...sweet, sweet days of summer...
Wink

Absolutely beautiful! I am thoroughly impressed with the build quality, the white power coat finish on the amp's plate, and the fantastic wood finish. I'm positive this amp will look just as stunning in 10 years as it does now!

Stay tuned for more!

Kodakjello

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Re: UNBOXING: Zen SE84ZS
Reply #1 - 07/15/07 at 19:14:20

Awesome Kodak Cool  Aren't you glad you took the plunge and ordered the gear? I bet when your Radials come your going to be a very happy camper.

Thanks for sharing the excellent picture report and congrats on your amps safe arrival..  Enjoy!!!      Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 07/15/07 at 22:47:14

I'll echo what Dave has said. . . and what you have said.  That is a beautiful amp with it's finish and wood. . . Wow.  

Enjoy, enjoy, and I'm eager to hear your impressions of Los Radials!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/16/07 at 01:01:10

Ditto on your impressions of the Radials.  

I think Steve really hit the mark with the new look for the Anniversary Edition amps.

They are beautiful peices of work, and the nice warmth of the walnut casing is nothing short of fabulous, plus they sound as good as they look which makes for a very complete package.. I hope he stays with this style, very nice...    Dave Smiley

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #4 - 07/16/07 at 06:22:16

Very nice, indeed! Exciting!

There's doubtless PLENTY of room inside the chassis for vcaps, should you become other-directed regarding the interstage coupling caps.  8-)

The stock caps are no slouch, however....

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Kodakjello
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/07 at 14:14:35

Thanks guys, I am glad I finally took the plunge. I've done some more casual listening and the amp is still sounding great but I'm really looking forward to hooking up the Radials! The Sony speakers are a bit too smooth and I'm pretty sure the tweeter is just getting on in age, it doesn't present the highs as crispy as I would like. It also might be due to the type of tweeter it is. When I re-wired the cabinets I noticed that there was a transformer attached to the back of the tweeter...I'm still not sure how that would work  :) Any ideas?

Kodakjello

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 07/18/07 at 00:45:40

It might be an inductor. . . not a transformer. . . I don't know.

You are definitely going to get crisp and vivid highs with the Radial tweeters!  You might even like me find them a bit too much!  (I seem to be quite sensitive to high end energy, and not to have lost much topend hearing!)

I'm looking forward to your receiving the Radials!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/18/07 at 02:29:40

WOW! I am jealous. That is a beautiful amp.  I really llike the new look of the Decware amps.  What source you are using?

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
Kodakjello
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/31/07 at 16:56:33

Right now I'm using an RCA splitter off the analog headphone jack from my iMac Smiley Very crude but it sounds nice. What I may do for the near future is obtain Squeezebox 3 for feeding the Select Zen. That would leave me with the option to upgrade to a good DAC in the future and simply relegate the Squeezebox to the role of a transport.

I really like the interface and open-source software on the SqueezeBox.

Kodakjello

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #9 - 08/05/07 at 03:51:30

Congrats!  Makes me want to buy another Select.  She is a beauty.  What serial number is it?  I am curious if Steve started at one (1) again with these?  

Just a rainy night here in Minneapolis.  I just finished a 4.5 hour listening session and as usual it is very hard to shut the Select off and leave the room for the evening. Jeff Golub with Guitar and Maceo Parker's Alto were in the room.

I must say Jeff Golub's latest record (Grand Central) is recorded through a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme....only through Steve's Zen Select do you sit there emersed in the Dripping tight clean Tone of Jeff's Guitar with the Fuchs! ...... .

Cheers, enjoy, Stone of Tone
Cool

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified