Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 17:49:13 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO in diferent size... (Read 4485 times)
claus_holleman
Ex Member

WO in diferent size...
09/24/07 at 10:42:09

hai...

we wanna try to build the WO for lage scale applications like indoor 1500+ events, and
outdoor events...
so we wanna build this box for 2x15"and in the future 2x18"subs...
the question is: what wille be the size of the enclosure? i guess that the "lines
will be drawn the same as you buiold a 2x12"ore is there anny diference?
i susspect that for the 18"application we better build it with 1x18" 2x18"will be huge, but that
is not the prob.
when tha WO is working well, we will build for each side 10, but first we will test one with 2x12"cheap subs, when that works right, we try to build the WO with a 2x15"setup...

greets...;..
Claus

IP Logged
Blotch
Ex Member

Re: WO in diferent size...
Reply #1 - 09/25/07 at 16:32:46

Scaling a WO to an 18" driver would make it incredibly huge. even starting out with the base size (for 10") of 24" by 36" x 12.5" would result in the outside dimensions of 43.2" by 64.8" X 22.5" or basically the equivalent of a 32 cubic foot enclosure (assuming 3/4" thick material). I think 18" drivers would probably be better off in plain ole sealed or ported enclosures Smiley.

IP Logged
David
Ex Member

Re: WO in diferent size...
Reply #2 - 09/26/07 at 11:44:41

ok not sure if im reading that right but did you say that you want to build 10 2X18" WO's per side? so thats 20 all up? and just to service 1500 people? well i think it sounds like fun but a little impracticle. Firstly it will be overkill, you do not need that many enclosure to service 1500 people. Going by the industry rule of thumb of about 10 watts per head, 15,000 watts will be plenty to cater for any application of 1500 people. So considering that you always want twice as much power goin to your subs as your mid/highs, that would mean 10 enclosures rated at 1000watts RMS. Dont bother with the 2X18" design, its just not worth the huge amount of extra materials, money and effort. Best option is to go for 2X12" WO, you will get much tighter bass, and it doesnt take ten men to lift one box either. Build 10 of these, rated at 1000watts RMS. Place 3, one on top of the other, per side at your main stacks. This will give you greater coupling, therefore better frequency response and higher SPL. Then run delay stacks 35meters in front of your main stacks with another two per side, again one on top of the other. Delay these stacks by 10 milliseconds so you dont get phasing problems. You will get far better dispersion and throw, and your 1500 people will have better sound and imaging, also more fun to mix. This way you will only need two stereo amps to run all your subs, you will need to do some series and parellel wiring in your main stacks to get back to four ohms, and you can pick up 3000watt a side at 4ohm amps for pretty chaep these days. Hope this gave you some help.
Cheers
David

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print