Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:38:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
using 12" drivers - few questions (Read 7113 times)
glenneaux
Verified Member

using 12" drivers - few questions
08/13/07 at 13:35:47

Hey everyone.

I've been looking at the WO design/instructions and been reading a bit on here and something thats got me stumped is how people fit a 12" driver in it. I've read that steve suggests making it 2" taller but that still doesnt solve some issues..

I've been drawing it up in autocad so i can get a better understanding it and i've drawn it all up and measured the width of the baffle boards and found that the battle boards at their narrowest is 10.81" in a 24x36" box. How does that figure?

Do i need to scale the box, rotate the baffle while keeping the sealed area the same or something entirely different? Please no "get 10inch woofers" responses, while this might be the way i go in the end im interested in fitting 12's.

Thanks guys Smiley

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Re: using 12" drivers - few questions
Reply #1 - 08/13/07 at 19:06:30

you have to angle the baffle.
from the perspective you drew, you just find it's center and rotate it around
hope that helps Cheesy

IP Logged
Blotch
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/14/07 at 02:11:08

The mouth edge of the baffle board stays on the center line and the outside wall edge of the baffle board is moved toward the front (mouth side) of the box. Makes the closed chamber smaller and the compression chamber larger.

IP Logged
glenneaux
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/14/07 at 03:51:41

Guys,

When you have moved the baffles around to fit a 12 have you considered the volumes of the sealed chamber and the volume between the baffle and the bandgap? Should i be matching the volume of the sealed chamber to match up with the volume generated by a calculator (4th order bandpass single reflex) for my sub?

It all seems a bit willy nilly. I've been trying different ways to fit a 12" wide baffle and the chambers change a lot and thats with the 12" side INSIDE the chamber, to put it on the other side would make it even smaller..

Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
Gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/14/07 at 15:15:51

As much as I hate to disagree with another member I need to speak up. Remembering that its my opinion and a little playing around.
The last thing you want to do is to increase the compression chamber. use the Subs 4th order spec to make your sealed area as close as possible. if you need to shrink it ( I doubt it) add something in the sealed area like blocks or even closed cell stryrofoam if your worried about weight.
Increasing the compression chamber will make it boomy. This Really applies when you use a woofer below 10". the bigger the driver it decreases but don't do it anyway.
The driver baffle can be moved sideways for sure. Slide the baffle wall that is on the inside toward the back of the enclosure ( where the back triangle is) and move the port that touches the outside wall of the box back into the sealed. Of course you do not want to decrease the size of the compression chamber too much.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Keep in mind that WO is very forgiving of subs or I have found it so. I have really abused the enclosure in messing with it and found it very flexible in tweaking and changes. Its always good to keep it as close as Steve recommends because it alleviates disappointment and he has put more thought into it than%99.999999 of people out there. I can think of only one or two people that put as much time into it after Steves initial design.

Gex

IP Logged
Blotch
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/18/07 at 01:16:19

I made an error in my original post - should be able to rotate the baffle on its center axis to fit a 12" driver in there. I haven't drawn one this way but I'll try it and see. Couldn't be too hard Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print