03/28/24 at 13:25:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
One HTD Groans? (Read 6302 times)
Craig
Ex Member

One HTD Groans?
06/15/07 at 09:29:19

One of my HDT's tends to make a groaning sound at certain frequencies and at the same time on certain songs. It has done this since day one. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Rob

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: One HTD Groans?
Reply #1 - 06/15/07 at 16:44:26

Could you  be  just a  bit  more specific in describing  said "groan"

At  which  frequencies ?  

Have  you  done  things like switch channels from your  source  or  try  another  source ?

Switch  tubes, etc....

(2) SE84C-Selects
HDTs w/Aurum Cantis Ribbons on home-made 2" solid maple plinths
Sunfire True Sub(x'ed@42hz/o gain)
Shanling CDT100(hot-modded)
PSAudio 600
Custom 99.999% silver sprk cables & ICs
Decware silver/teflon "Y"
Lots-a-tubes,cones & spikes
  IP Logged
Craig
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/15/07 at 23:32:58

It's like a fast grating, and is tuned to something. Most famous for doing it at the same time on each tune. "Old Man" live, by Neil Young with just a guitar, and at the lower frequencies which would bottom out at a low "E" on a guitar. My first thought was a loose PVC pipe "rattling" being amplified thriugh the cabinet, but sounds like a driver. I reversed cables and it reverted to the same side. Happens on other songs too, but always at the same time. It is tuned to a frequency. Any Ideas?

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #3 - 06/16/07 at 05:08:34

Craig,

If its tunned to a freq, then my first thought would be one of the passives, but that would sound more like a rattle than a groan. just tap on them with your finger tips and let us know what you hear. Second thing to check is the driver itself, check to make sure the flange of the driver isn't touching the cabinet at the mounting screw locations, it should be about 10 thousands away from touching he veneer.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print