Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:15:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Original ZEN C vs Trends TA-10 (Read 13702 times)
mrbegnt
Ex Member

Original ZEN C vs Trends TA-10
06/04/07 at 21:51:02

Right now I own a”modded” Trends Audio TA-10 amp and I’m using it on my “The Horn” (Ed Schilling) speakers (8ohm, 96db).

I wonder if an Original Zen C can replace a TA-10 and what are the pros and cons?

/mrbegnt

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Re: Original ZEN C vs Trends TA-10
Reply #1 - 06/04/07 at 23:32:39

Never heard the Zen "C", but, I'm currently using a Zen Select to drive a pair of diy BLH's, w/ 126 drivers. I've also got a TA-10.1
The Select makes these speakers sing. The TA-10.1 is surprisingly good, and drives the same speakers very well, but there's really no contest if absolute , non fatiguing musicality is your goal.
As stated many times, the addition of a good tubed pre makes both the Zen and the Trends that much more enjoyable, IMHO !
                                                                                                                   Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/07 at 17:08:05

If you haven't already, why not ask Ed - he'll likely have a definite (although perhaps not permanent   Angry ) opinion on the matter.

the pros for the Trends would be no heat, compact, super cheap,  decent sound
the cons would be that it ain't no Zen
the pros/cons for the Zen would be,    well this is Steve's forum there are no cons  ;D

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
mrbegnt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/07/07 at 17:40:11

But will an Original Zen C have the same bass response like the TA-10?

/Mrbegnt

IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/07/07 at 22:42:46

mrbegnt wrote on 06/07/07 at 17:40:11:

/Mrbegnt

Well, to a degree that could depend on driver &/ or output tubes and bias setting.  

Doorman;  I'll posit that your system is close enough to the general flavor and presentation of that in question for you to share your observation as to the bass response between the 2 amps.

As I'm toying with the idea of a Trends for my video rig (which surprisingly enough would include some kind of home-made Fostex based speaker), I curious about this myself.

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
Eli Duttman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/08/07 at 00:26:12

/Mrbegnt

Wrong question!  Will the TA-10 come within a light year of a SE84's midrange performance?  The BULK of musical info. is in the midrange.

BTW, SE84 bass performance is not shabby.

IP Logged
mrbegnt
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/08/07 at 00:50:29

Two question:

Anyone who have any experience with Eddie Vaughn’s “EV” upgrade on the SE84C and what do that upgrade entail and how much is it for that kind of upgrade?

Would a Transcendent Grounded Grid Preamp work well with a SE84C or is it any other amp that would be a better fit for the Decware?

Thanks,
mrbegnt

IP Logged
Doorman
Seasoned Member

"pouring from
the empty into the
void"

Reply #7 - 06/08/07 at 03:55:44

The TA 10.1 makes music, and yes, the bass is tight and "dry", I like its presentation. The fact that it's also more powerful than my Select also factors in.
That being said, Eli's post is well put, in that the Zen's overal "musicality" always draws me into listening to "just one more"! It's hard for me to dissect the music it makes, it just sounds good!
                                                                                                                            Don

Decware, Rega, Heybrook/Linn/Ortofon
Goertz/Wireworld/cat-5/MarkAudio Alpair 10.2 drivers
(eN) in DIY Mar-Ken cabs
NHT SB3’s
  IP Logged
selmerdave
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/09/07 at 16:53:02

/Mrbegnt

I think I would say that if bass is your thing, you'll probably miss the point of the Zen.  I would say that in comparison to other amps that I've had the chance to listen to, it's fair to say that the Zen bass is a little "lean", and I do mean a little.  This can be compensated for by other means (Imperials...).  What I would say, is that for all of the amps that I have heard that are a little fuller in the bass, the quality and tonality of the bass from the Zen runs circles around the others.

Dave

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #9 - 06/09/07 at 19:24:36

I can directly say the Trends TA-10 is definitely nice as a cheapie or a place holder, but doesn't come anywhere NEAR the lucidity of my SE84CS.

If  mid and high range lucidity matters, then the zen is light years ahead. The zen has really nice quality bass, but a rapper or Metallica fan probably wouldn't get off on it. On the other hand, I prefer to hear the overtone structure of pianos, strings, winds and voice with the best possible transparence and musicality (classical music listener, here, if you didn't notice), and would gladly give a slight amount in the bass for that.

I got a trends amp for a garage system where it won't matter so much, where I might even need to rig up a battery arrangement to power it. The Trends amp DOES have a little punchier thump in the bass and acceptable mid range (again, it's a nice cheapie), but it ain't no way a comparison to the SE84C or SE84CS in the rest of the audio spectrum.

A *straight C* would be just ever so slightly different in presentation from my "CS", but not by gigantic amounts. My CS is most likely just a tad bit more aggressive sounding than the straight "C", although I've never compared them directly.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
mrbegnt
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/09/07 at 21:57:58

OK, I get it; I will sell my modded TA-10…

More questions, is it any good upgrade for the SE84C?

What would be the best preamp, the Decware CSP2 or a Transcendent GG Preamp?

How do the SE84C and Transcendent SE-OTL compare?

/Mrbegnt

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/13/07 at 19:06:59

Quote:
More questions, is it any good upgrade for the SE84C?

Many have said this is a very good thing. There are several posts that speak to upgading. I have in the past upgraded coupling caps with a noticeable improvement.

Quote:
What would be the best preamp, the Decware CSP2 or a Transcendent GG Preamp?

I have a CSP in front of my Select and it is very good. A friend whose ears I trust has told me the GG is very good indeed but for now I am happy with the CSP. I do think the CSP improves the sound with the Select more so than it does in front of the EV Carina. AAMOF I prefer the Carina without the CSP.  I am rambling now.

Quote:
How do the SE84C and Transcendent SE-OTL compare?

Will not touch that with a 10 foot pole.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print