Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 02:17:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DEC-343>SE84C>Radial 1.5 (Read 12990 times)
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

DEC-343>SE84C>Radial 1.5
06/12/07 at 15:50:53

I promised I would write up a review on my all Decware system and although it has taken some time, here it is.

I have the DEC-343 directly connected to my SE84c with a set of the original DSR interconnects and standard 12awg wire from the SE84c to the Radials.

The DEC-343 opened up a midrange presence that was missing with my old source (Cambridge Audio DVD77) When listening to heavier stuff it sounds fuller. Cochise by Audioslave was the best I have ever heard through the DEC-343. Cymbals are produced very well with a great crash to them that was missing before with the Cambridge. Bass is good but I don't think it extends very low from this player. I only really have the Radials to work with and they don't drop too low themselves but when using my computer as a source it seems to have a little more extension to it. What bass is there with the DEC-343 is quite good though, with nice texture. Soundstage is very wide and eneveloping through with decent deapth and imaging. Center image is also very good.

The RL-1.5's are an improved version of the RL-2. The newer bases with passives allow a lower frequency response with less mid information coming through. This cleans up the sound and smooths up the bass response. I have noticed some basslines in songs I haven't heard before with ported box designs. The Radials are definitely not one note wonders. You can also feel the bass as it couples itself with the room and really comes alive. The soundstage grew after replacing the RL-2 bases with the RL-1.5 bases and it is definitely because of the bass increase. I find vocals to be a little laid back, but more natural. You get the feeling you are listening live, rather then a recording. This can be especially good for movies as you don't feel you are being spoken too, instead that you are listening in to others conversations (if that makes sense to anyone) Once in a while however the speakers can get excited around the 1000hz area. This can be covered up some with room placement. That would be my only complaint about these speakers. High frequencies are extended and sweet. I love the reproduction of cymbals on these speakers. I have never considered the highs to be bright or unblanced but I haven't had the chance to mess around with resistor values yet. Right now, they seemed to be dialed in just right with a 51ohm resistor I believe it is.

I will admit, I am not a pro reviewer. I haven't got as many years or as much gear on most of the people on here. I find that the only complaint I have with the RL-1.5's is the excited frequencies around 1000hz and a little low bass missing from the DEC-343. The SE84c doesn't need reviewing as it's been done so many times. It is neautral to me and just passes along the music. If you want a neautral to warm system with great mids and a large natural soundstage with realistic imaging. This is the system to do it.

Decware has a lot of well built, quality products and an awesome staff. I have spent a great deal of time listening to the people on this forum because you get an honest opinion and friendly responses. It is what sold me on Decware in the first place.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me in the past and to those who have been so generous with offerings here on the forum. I wouldn't be where I am today with my system if it wasn't for you guys.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: DEC-343>SE84C>Radial 1.5
Reply #1 - 06/13/07 at 00:48:13

Trevor,

Thanks for that great review.  You DO write a good frank review!

Makes me almost want to remind Bob about a long ago offer he made me about the RL1.5s. . . .

:)

SO GLAD YOU ARE ENJOYING THE SYSTEM!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/13/07 at 01:48:29

you need a sub  ;)

that 343 gets LOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW   Cool

IP Logged
DaveCan
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/13/07 at 03:01:46

Excellent review.....  The 1.5's have always interested me so it's great to read an honest straight goods write up... Also would love to get my hands on a Dec player one day. Thanks for taking the time to post your impressions....       Dave Smiley

IP Logged
Tr3vWh0r3
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/13/07 at 03:04:49

Guys, I was so worried about writing something up using the big audiophile terms and phrases. I said the heck with it and just went with short but sweet. It really is a fine sounding setup and maybe 60 is right, it's time for a WO32!

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

IP Logged
MikeW
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/13/07 at 19:19:33

TR3
Pick up a copy of Stereophile and take note of the buzzwords. You should be able to get all of the current ones from just a single review. Then you should be able to rewrite your reivew above so it will be honey to the audiophile palette. Smiley

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #6 - 06/18/07 at 02:33:49

Trevor,

Nice review, don't worry about the "buzz words" Its perfect the way it is. Makes it more honest!!

I think the peak you're hearing is a bit higher than 1K but its good you hear it, well you should hear it anyway, its something that showed up in the RL-2's when I changed the base to the 1.5 base which was eliminated by the new 1.5 driver. That just tells me you are hearing what I heard, good ears my man.

Lon,

PM me and remind me what deal I made you...with all thats happened in our lives, with our wives, you could see how I'd forget, right.

BobZ

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 06/18/07 at 21:56:57

Thanks for the PMs! Smiley

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
rmt
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 06/19/07 at 00:41:08

Tr3vWh0r3 wrote on 06/12/07 at 15:50:53:
Decware has a lot of well built, quality products and an awesome staff. I have spent a great deal of time listening to the people on this forum because you get an honest opinion and friendly responses. It is what sold me on Decware in the first place.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me in the past and to those who have been so generous with offerings here on the forum. I wouldn't be where I am today with my system if it wasn't for you guys.

I heartily agree with that comment.

Select, CSP2 upgrade, Dec 685, DSRii, Nibbelin NFX w/DFR-8s, SE34.I, Zbox
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print