Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 15:28:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6n2p's in SE34I.2 extremely noisy (Read 4884 times)
kafkaesque
Ex Member

6n2p's in SE34I.2 extremely noisy
06/01/07 at 18:45:34

My set up: Dec685-->SE34I.2-->HDT's.

Just to preface, Steve and I have been trying to troubleshoot the problem but I thought I would toss it out to the forum for more input.

In short, ordered the 6n2p's and while they were CLEARLY superior they were extremely noisy. Thought they were bad so sent them back to Steve and they actually tested good. Steve then personally auditioned another pair on a SE34I.2 and they are still extremely noisy.

The real pisser is that I love the 6n2p's, but at lower volumes the crackling drives me to drink!   Shocked

I'm thinking the problem may be my source, namely, the Dec685 injecting too much input voltage.

Would appreciate any thoughts

Ted :

IP Logged
Rob

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: 6n2p's in SE34I.2 extremely noisy
Reply #1 - 06/01/07 at 19:48:00

I  have  been rolling  6n2p's  in  my pair  of Selects w/ the HDTs.

I  have  found  several of them to be VERY white noisy. i.e. the  'crackling'  sound.

I  bought a  lot fo 50 of them, cheap (about $2.38/ea) - I've  tried  about  20 of them, and found  6  very  noisy ones, the  rest fine.

I've  sent 10  off  for  cryo-ing, I'm  hoping that  might  help a  bit, and  make the  good ones  even  better.

(2) SE84C-Selects
HDTs w/Aurum Cantis Ribbons on home-made 2" solid maple plinths
Sunfire True Sub(x'ed@42hz/o gain)
Shanling CDT100(hot-modded)
PSAudio 600
Custom 99.999% silver sprk cables & ICs
Decware silver/teflon "Y"
Lots-a-tubes,cones & spikes
  IP Logged
Tish
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/02/07 at 17:15:49

Hi Ted,  I have had the same problem with the crackling sound and tried a different pair of the 6n2p in my SE34I.2 and it went away. Must be a random thing. Tish

IP Logged
Craig
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/02/07 at 18:33:45

I get the crackling with this combo, also. Mine goes away once it has warmed up. Thanks for leeting me know the cause. Mine was not that bad, and in just one channel.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #4 - 06/03/07 at 01:19:50

Have you got an alternate source unit with low voltage output to try?
Maybe an MP3 player or something you can use just to see if the overdrive input is causing it?
I think Steve might be able to adjust the 685 if that is the case.
I don't have enough experience with tubes to offer any other suggestions, but I thought I would throw a hat in the pile lol

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
Jason

Reply #5 - 08/13/07 at 21:33:39

If you can source them, the 6n2p-EB seems to be better.  I got a bunch of both (EB/EV and non EB/EV) and the so far every second one of the non mil-spec ones seem to be noisy.

Jason

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print