Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 13:44:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO with 15" Titanic MKIII's (Read 5985 times)
megatr0n
Ex Member

WO with 15" Titanic MKIII's
03/13/07 at 01:39:26

I am in the middle of building the HWK with 4 15's and just to compare I want to build the WO with two maybe 4 15's. Anyways I was doing a search and the most information I found about adjusting the WO to work with 15's is to increase the height by 2inches and angle the baffle? Is there more to it than that?

IP Logged
Tokken
Ex Member

Re: WO with 15" Titanic MKIII's
Reply #1 - 03/13/07 at 05:35:03

Um.. yeah.. 2 inches is not going to do it. 4 inches is more like it.
Itīs hard to get 12" in a WO and i donīt think 15īs would fit like a glove either.
The WO is designed for 10" and 8" woofers from the beginning, and all other
attempts to put larger drivers in it is all experimental at best from other builders.
Some with good results some with bad.
I recommend you to draw it up on a big piece of paper to se how small the space  
actually is for the woofers. And from there try to fit the 15īs with
a papermodel of the sub, 2D.. not 3D Wink

IP Logged
musgofasa
Seasoned Member

Where is that
monkey? I want to
shoot something!

Reply #2 - 03/13/07 at 17:18:43

Yup,
I have only heard of one person having any luck going bigger than 12" subs in the WO. I have helped a couple people design them larger and the results have been really dissapointing. I have heard one person use 15s succesfully and he used a pretty shallow driver. That was the only time I have seen the height increased and the other dimensions left alone. All attempts to widen the box to accept deeper woofers have failed (to my knowledge at least)

THe HWK should be a monster. I would say stick with it.

Take care,
Robert

The graveyard is full of important men
musgofasa   IP Logged
megatr0n
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/13/07 at 18:19:05

Thanks for the input I gave I'll save the wood for some other project.

IP Logged
JRock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/07 at 07:05:20

Adjusting the shape of a normal size wo- say 36 x 36 to accomadate your driver would work fine.  Although it would be a hell of a wood working project, changing the shape of the compression and sealed chamber, yet keep their volume and the horn path the same would be the best bet.

The problem with scaling the entire design is that you loose alot of its benefits (size- dual folded horn in 3 x 3feet!!! -Not anymore)  and change the geometry of the horn.  Granted all the ratios stay the same by definition of scaling- the added area of the throat and volume of compression chamber would no doubt lead to the WO sounding bloated and slow.  No longer would it be a beast of speed and power- say a Bently- it would become a Semi Truck.  Great for low end and SPL, but horrible for negotiating turns in style like its 10" 3 x 3foot predecessor.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print