Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 14:10:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wood Type / Dayton v Black Widow.... (Read 7364 times)
cavenut
Ex Member

Wood Type / Dayton v Black Widow....
11/08/06 at 22:03:51

OK first off, just so ya’ll know I am serious. Today I went out and bought everything except for the wood and the drivers.

The reason I didn’t get the wood was because LOWES does not stock. 1” MDF or Particle Board. This brings up a new question: which one would be best to use MDF or Particle Board? I plan on laminating the entire cabinet in 1/4 “ red oak plywood, so the finish has no bearing to me.

Question #2 as I have posted before I planed on using the Dayton Titanic Series Subwoofers. I have been doing some research and reading as much of your old posts as I can. One thing I don’t see is a lot of  people who used the PEAVY BLACK WIDOWS, specifically the PEAVY 1505 DT – 4 or 8 the last number representing the ohms load of each driver. There are several speakers in the Black Widow Line but these are by far the ones with the lowest response. Also they are Kevlar mixed cones, and power rated the highest. The rest of the specs can be found in this PDF.:
http://www.peavey.com/media/pdf/manuals/80300801.pdf

Here is the black widows 1505 DT-8 specs and price
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVBW1505

My thinking here would be tight bass response for music. High output for movies.
Plus it solves the Ohms, problem of two 4 ohm drivers.

In my calculations the DATONS being a 4 ohm speaker if:

If (4) were used, two drivers would need to be put in series, and the two sets of series drivers would be put in parallel, giving you a 4 ohm load over four drivers. This is optimal but very expensive another $400.00 in drivers.

If (2) were used the two 4 ohm drivers in parallel would give you an ohms load of 2 ohms. This is too close to the edge for me. My amp could release the magic smoke before you knew there was a problem

If (2) were used in Series of course you would have an 8 ohm load. As this is very safe, you are wasting a little less than half the amps power.

Now here is the key, if I use (2) of the BLACK WIDOW drivers at 8 ohms each. In parallel I would have a 4 ohm load.

Plus if I decided to go with four drivers I can get the 4 ohm models and save $240 on cost of four.

I have checked my calculations and was wondering, what you gurus think of the Black Widows???

Thanks,
Michael

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Re: Wood Type / Dayton v Black Widow....
Reply #1 - 11/09/06 at 00:36:00

Well, I am partial to the Daytons, but I can say that I haven't head any of the Black widows that I didn't like.
In fact, I have heard quite a few of the BWs that I DID like.
Seems like a no brainer considering the wiring issue is solved and you are saving money. I certainly don't think you would be gaining anything from the Daytons considering you can't get the same amp power to them.

Lots of good news out there about the Peaveys and they have been around long enough for any negatives to be well published by now.
Go for it!

Robert

IP Logged
AFRS
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/09/06 at 13:32:35

Hi cavenut
(dyslexia warning, no spell check. lol)
ide definatly go for mdf, this box rearly needs to be deadend down and the dencity of thatl help, although you might run into some trouble with 1" as the bottom ports are 3/4" long, though if i were to build another one ide definatle add some internal braceing as i said it rearly does need to be deadend down.

as for what driver, im usign somethign similar to the black widdow (still one atm) and can say i get a good solid 30hz out of it and have set the protection filter on my amp to that, any less i wouldnt trust with a pro audio driver which is where the daton would come in. Again it comed down to what you want it for, its a big fat reggy sounding box im guessing the datons will emphasise that for the big boomy movie sound and the widows will give it some needed tightness at the cost of some low frequencys. Im happy with my 30hz cutoff, there rearly isnt much going on below that let alone sub 20hz, then again i use mine mainly for DJing. Only you know what you want, oh and dont worry about what handels more power this box is silly loud.
Jim

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/09/06 at 15:54:00

I believe that the Black Widow is more of a musical woofer than subwoofer. Don't get me wrong the Peavy line is an excellent choice for PA and musical entertainment. If I was to use the Black Widow it would proably be in some type of folded horn or maybe a TL. The HWK is a strange beast that will accept most anything you put in it. According to your taste in "BASS" is what should sway your decision on speakers. Black Widows would not be my choice if I wanted to go low(20-30Hz) although quad-loaded might change my mind. Titantics on the other hand would proably go lower but would hurt my feelings to pay that much for a subwoofer. Check Mach 5 out of Canada and see what they have to offer for your set up. I recently purchase some 10"s and was surprise by the outstanding build quality and specs. Them babies are neck in neck with the HO and HF Daytons as far as build/specs and was only $52 each after shiping to Mayberry RFD. What is your flavor in BASS? Low and mean or high and tight. Just my two cents.    HT-EXT

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/09/06 at 18:50:41

pointing out your bass tastes is going to help a lot in choosing a driver.
as far as particle vs mdf, i advise you to take the mdf route. easier to work with and a lot stronger.
don't worry about using 1" mdf. 1/4" thicker won't interfere noticeably with the ports and you will have a very solid box. i hate 3/4'' because even after i braced the chit out of a 1cube box it still wasn't heavy enough to stay where i put it. and i still get flex. so 1" all the way Smiley
also, mach 5 just launched the 15. if it performs as good as the 12, it's a winner for sure Smiley

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/13/06 at 03:12:22

Re: the mach 5 12"
The one thing I wanted to mention is the coils are 2.2 Ohms each and not 4 Ohms  as the spec sheet reads. I tested two DVC subs at exactly 2.2.

I think I also read somewhere that the 18" is lower than the spec sheet reads as well, but at the moment I can't remember where I read that to confirm it.

So beware of the load on cheap amps. I myself can hardly wait to try them out because I think so far they are a winner all around for the price.

I am in no way saying that they are bad subs just that the Ohm specs are way out and it could be bad on a poor amp.
I hope that they are more sensitive than the specs read, that would be a bonus for me with so many little amps laying around.

Thought it was worth mentioning
the Gex

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/13/06 at 12:29:47

i guess 2.2 dcr isn't a problem, considering impedance rise Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print