Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 22:17:54 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm buiding the 12'' Hwk (Read 5751 times)
buggers
Ex Member

I'm buiding the 12'' Hwk
09/18/06 at 15:35:43

Hello all. I'm building the 12'' Hwk and I am having problems locating a resonably priced driver that matches the spec's in the white paper  :'( . What drivers are you folks using? The only one i've found so far  is a Dayton dvc310-88 at Parts express.
Also I notice that the peavey black widow spec's are not in line with the white paper. Should I be that concerned about the driver spec's?
Would using two clam shells of different manufactures work well like some have done with the emperials?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Re: I'm buiding the 12'' Hwk
Reply #1 - 09/19/06 at 15:22:13

I don't think specs are all that important when it comes to the HWK but are simply guide lines if you decide to go by the norm. I have used everything from Daytons, Kicker Comps, Pioneers, and el-cheapos to get the job done. It just depends on what you want the most. Do you want quality, go low, or just boom? I will admit that some of the higher quality speakers are the way to go if you are not willing to take the HWK apart over and over again. I have had luck with the Dayton Series IIs but some have not. Also built a HWK12 with Kicker Comps that was "DEV-AAAA-STATING". To each his own build it and "BOOM".                                     
HT-EXT

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/19/06 at 16:18:20

The HWK is soo flexible just choose the driver you can afford.

Just for an example- I have a friend who has 2 Kicker Competition 12s in a DB.  They are clamshelled, and recieve about 125w a piece (max).  Those subs will fill the car with bass and rattle everything.  By lowering the XO point to around 50 its the third cleanest sub I have built.  (10 inch wo, then 10 in DB)

I don't know if HT-EXT's "Kicker Comps" are the same I have used.  To give you an idea the Competition line was designed by Stillwater and are designated "Seperates."  But basically these things are 20 years old and have a magnet the size of your fist.  Still pounds hard as hell though...

IP Logged
LoSRx7
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/09/06 at 12:26:42

My first Housewrecker, I used four 12" JBL GT subs that I had lying around for years.   Got them at circuit city long LOOONG time ago for buy 1 get one free Smiley  

The box sounds awesome, even thou I rushed to build it.   Now I'm going to rebuild the box again, but TAKE my time to build it.  

I would suggest building on ur budget.  I think you'll like the sound with cheap subs.   Once you can, upgrade the subs.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/09/06 at 13:26:38

id sujjest useing just 2 drivers to get the full benifit of the design, almost any 2 drivers will work, just stay away from real cheapies. dayton makes a great driver.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print