Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Plate Amp in DB Ok? (Read 6528 times)
4TunaRunner
Ex Member

Plate Amp in DB Ok?
09/14/06 at 18:50:37

Hey everybody:

Great forum with lots o' good info.  I've built a DB-10 for the truck with good results and am now building a DB-12 for the HT.  I found what seems like a good choice of plate amp (Dayton 500wt), but I'm wondering what the experts would say about any plate amp cut into the DB.  Specifically what about heat in the sealed section; loss of air-space (10x10x1.5); induced resonance due to a weakened side panel; air leaks at cutout; loss of tunability due to interference between amp and baffle; etc.  Should I just use the amp externally to avoid these problems?  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: Plate Amp in DB Ok?
Reply #1 - 09/14/06 at 19:46:13

I would mount it to the end of the DB in its own chamber to avoid any of those problems.  Or if you want it the amp on the DB's side, build a chamber the entire length of the box so its a rectangular prism rather then a square.  

A few of those really could be problematic- tune-ability, weakened side panel, and air leaks would be the ones I worry about.  And adding a chamber for the amp defeats all possible problems.

IP Logged
4TunaRunner
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/14/06 at 21:06:41

Thanks for your input.  I have considered the external chamber idea, but unfortunately not before I made all my cuts.  The only method that I am coming up with requires buying another sheet of MDF to accomidate the new dimensions.

Still brainstorming.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/14/06 at 21:13:29

What about using left over peices turned sideways? Like 2"-3" wide strips turned sideways on the backside?

IP Logged
4TunaRunner
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/14/06 at 21:27:09

Ya, that's the thought path that I'm on right now.  The complication to this is that in order to win wife approval I plan to veneer it just like the real pretty one pictured on the site with the black laquer pedestal.

Granted, the veneer creates the ability to cover up any joints (bonus) but I haven't figured out the engineering yet.

IP Logged
VexorgTR
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/24/06 at 19:55:14

There's a LOT of pressure in a DB Sub.... make the plate amp it's own zone.......   I have a 10" DB home sub..... works well. I'll make something more killer some other day.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print