Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 01:08:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HWK8 running full range? (Read 3733 times)
HT-EXT
Ex Member

HWK8 running full range?
09/07/06 at 15:28:46

What problems would occur if I was to run a HWK8 full range? The enclosure is a band pass type so it has a natural cut off/roll off but could this cause damage to the woofer/woofers. The woofers is a Daytons DVC and only see about 50 to 75 watts peak so there are not being pushed extremely hard. The HWK8 is putting out 50Hz to about 200Hz(80db to 90db) and tends to roll off from there with little effort. Just curious to know any long term problems running a woofer or woofers full range could cause. Thanks for any replies.   HT-EXT

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Re: HWK8 running full range?
Reply #1 - 09/07/06 at 16:10:22

None HT

I ran my dual loaded HWK8 (thanks Gex) fullrange for quite awhile before moving it into the subwoofer position for my HT.

Well, kinda none anyways....

the SQ from this box when run fullrange, well, it, ah, um, well it sucks @ss.  Sorry, but the harmonics from the ports were bad when I ran them at 2x 2.5"x.75" and 4"x.75".  Once I changed to 2x 2.5"x6" and 4"x10" ports they only got worse.  In fact, the only thing I can compare a properly ported HWK8 fullrange to is a VERY botched TL, very hollow and peaky.  This design does have a natural first order rolloff on either side of the two tuned frequencies, however the port harmonics spike at third order and have enough gain to significantly muddy everything.  Seriously, the upper harmonics made me think that there was a tweeter on in the room somewhere LOL, better to run it as it was intended.

I do not reccomend this approach HT, you will be disappointed with the sound

JJ

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Re: HWK8 running full range?
Reply #2 - 09/07/06 at 17:16:34

The reason I am are running them full range is to assist my left and right with a little better bass reproduction. The EQ helps me dial down the harmonics you mention. The power is also split between the tower and the HWK8. With only 25w per speaker in the HWK it does not produce over whelming boom just enough to help out the tower speaker. Thanks for the reply. It makes me a little more comfortable knowing you have already tried this without any major melt downs.  HT-EXT

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print