Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 15:58:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mis-Matching drivers in two imperials (Read 7673 times)
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Mis-Matching drivers in two imperials
08/19/06 at 17:10:05

I have an imperial with this 15" scorpion http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=294-313, this 15" goldwood http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-397, and this horn http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=270-099 with this compression driver http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-225.  Im looking into building another one imperial.  Would it be best if i purchased these same drivers and horn?  Im looking for cheapest price i can get these drivers, or drivers with similar specs, for.  
Thanks again.

-Geoff

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Mis-Matching drivers in two imperials
Reply #1 - 08/19/06 at 18:57:34

steve used mis-matched drivers in the imp. check this thread.

IP Logged
JimP
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/21/06 at 14:39:56

Geoff,

I can't speak to the woofers, but I use that same compression driver and I have had very good results.  I shopped around a lot and that is the cheapest high power driver around and it sounds good to boot!  I did damage a voice coil once, but a little superglue stuck it back onto the diphragm and it still works. ( I use it as a back up only though).

Jim P

IP Logged
dank
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/24/06 at 17:29:59

It bothers me that your speaker costs are $210 for the woofers and $37 for the horn/driver.  I know you can spend a lot more for a horn/driver, especially if you get into the 2 inch stuff, but I haven't a clue how you tell (from the specs) whether the horn/driver sounds good or not.  I personally have found a couple that belong in the "don't sound so good" category.  

I suspect, but its really a guess, that your Imperial might sound better with a $200 horn/driver.  If you don't want to spend that much money and like your $38 horn/driver it seems to me that you might be able to get by with MUCH cheaper woofers.  Sort of like the chain and the weakest link theory, I suspect your components could be balanced better...either up or down in terms of dollars.

If there are some horn experts out there, your input would be welcome.

Dan

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/25/06 at 17:14:54

Well the reason i bought those drivers but an inexpensive horn/driver is because i was going to upgrade my horn.  It made more sense to me to upgrade just a 40$ horn to a $150 horn than to buy two $30-$40 15" drivers and upgrade them to $100 dollar ones.  Example: 1- 15" driver @ $40 plus 1- 15" driver @ $45 plus an upgraded 15" $90 driver plus an upgraded  15" $120 driver equals $295 after initial cheapo drivers and upgraded drivers.  On the other hand, 1- horn/ driver combo @ $45 plus an upgraded horn/driver combo @ about $150 equals $195.  Im saving money this way... I do plan to buy a new horn/driver combo but im not sure which ones i should buy...

BTW, the horn/driver setup i have now sounds great to my likings, i have yet to hear a more expensive pair so i dont know what i am missing out on...

-Geoff

IP Logged
dank
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/28/06 at 13:48:04

Geoff

Sounds like you just answered your own question...stick with the Goldwood and Scorpion, they are a well proven pair in the Imperial.  

What kind of crossover are you using?

Also, be sure to let us know if you ever do upgrade your horns/drivers as I'm sure a number of people would be interested in what you come up with, me included.

Dan

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/28/06 at 19:52:41

Well right now i have them all running full range.  The two 15"s in series and the horn parallel off of them with a cap in between the horn and the woofers.  I was told to do this in an earlier post.  I cannot find it but thats my set up.  If i could be doing differently/better, please let me know.

As for horn/drivers, i may be waiting a while before i purchase a set. Pay check comes this friday so ill see what i can come up with with that.  Im looking for a combo in the $150 range.  I just bought two sheets of mdf and im going to be a 12" WO with some 12" subs out of a pair of my dads old loudspeakers, and then eventually purchase two nicer 12" sub woofers so that will probably be my project this week.

-Geoff

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print