Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 11:34:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube Amp Doctors (TAD) EL84-STR (Read 6812 times)
Zikks
Ex Member

Tube Amp Doctors (TAD) EL84-STR
08/19/06 at 03:32:44

A revalation?

In my SE84C-EX the Tube Amp Doctors (TAD) EL84-STR is the most incredible tube I've heard yet (and I've been rolling around quite a bit).

Focused/defined bass, "perfect" (IMOP) mids, and highs right on the tight and light.

For $27.95/matched pair how could you lose?

http://www.thetubestore.com/tadel84.html

Enjoy!

~mjm~

IP Logged
Scotty
Ex Member

Re: Tube Amp Doctors (TAD) EL84-STR
Reply #1 - 08/25/06 at 17:17:20

Hey Zikks,

I concur.  I've been running them in my 84C for about 3 months now and I love them.  They sound as you describe, and for me, they add air, a certain relaxed quality, and more warmth without sacrificing any detail.  Compared to both the standard and military versions of the SV-83, and the EI Elite EL-84, these TAD tubes (Chinese manufactur, no less) kick serious butt.  Adding them after 5 or 6 years of listening to the others has changed my perspective on everything and taken my humble 84C to the highest level it's achieved.

Glad someone else out there has discovered these.  I'm curious what other brands, current production or NOS, you've compared the TADs to.  They were only my second venture into the EL-84 realm, and I'm tempted to stock up on them, but it makes me wonder if there are any better sounding tubes out there.  Thanks for posting.

Scotty

IP Logged
Rocket_Ronny
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/28/06 at 03:17:59

MMMMM. Tasty.

Thanks guys.

Rocket_el84_Ronny

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/28/06 at 04:00:37

Yes, thanks guys.  I need to try them.

Stone of Tone

IP Logged
Scooterman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/06/06 at 23:31:11

I just ordered a pair. I can't believe that my amp can sound any better...
But, for so little $, I will give it a listen.
Thanks for the tip.

Update: 9/26/06

I've had the tubes in for a couple weeks now. They sound good. I don't know if they sound any better than what I had before (JJ EL84) but they don't sound any worse. I guess I'm not refined enough to know the difference. I just know this amp sounds good to me and that's why I bought it. Now, back to the reclined position...
Scooterman

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print