Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 03:15:21 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question regarding old Valvo EL 84 tubes (Read 6989 times)
wingnut
Ex Member

Question regarding old Valvo EL 84 tubes
06/07/06 at 22:39:58

I pulled a pair of Valvo EL 84 tubes from an old Grundig radio. I have a SE 84 C amp. What is the best and safest way to check if these tubes are good? I was not able to power up the Grundig to see if the tubes worked in it.   I do not have access to a tube tester.
Thanks! ???

IP Logged
ARBY
Ex Member

Re: Question regarding old Valvo EL 84 tubes
Reply #1 - 06/07/06 at 23:23:37

Plug it in. I have a quad of Valvo e84l red print that I used in my Select Ex for over 4 years now. Very good sounding and very rugged

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/07/06 at 23:59:59

Send them to me, I will test them.

It will take years to complete the test.

John C.

IP Logged
wingnut
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/08/06 at 00:38:25

Hotsauce,
I think I'll test them here first. Smiley

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/08/06 at 15:28:42

Valvo are indeed nice(but then again that says nothing, some of my mullards are branded valvo, some are produced in Holland for philiphs and so on, what are the tube's codes that will give us something to work with., the VAlvo (holland) that i had were good, but just short of the mullards tough, but close and my second choice, in a 10 types of el84 test/comparison.

TEST the tubes!!!!!!
a MULLARD el84 that I put in my amp burnt something inside lucky me that was one day before the amp was due to leave home for a full EV massage.

Always test the tubes! find a shop that has a tube tester in your city, thatb is my advice.

Sure I do it every time now.

IP Logged
wingnut
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/08/06 at 22:19:37

Thanks Lightmaster,
I am going to have them tested when I find a local shop. The "markings" on the tubes are FX 3 DG 9. The "F" is faded, so I am not sure if it is a "F"  One has 025 on the top,the other has 127. The radio they were pulled from was purchased in 1958.

IP Logged
lightmaster
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/09/06 at 11:17:11

hum, let me get a stab at it

Well they are indeed made by Valvo in Germany at the Hamburg plant

F X3 it's the type of tube's construction.

G suggests 1957, 9 September. it is strage tough that the G is before the numeral (9), in all the ones i have seen its normally the other way around?????

In that case they should be made in July 1959, I think the latter to be the more likely case

and yes do test them before using them. if they work you will be a very happy man Smiley

f

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print