Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:30:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone try an 8/10 size DB for an 8 inch? (Read 11489 times)
GaryK
Ex Member

Anyone try an 8/10 size DB for an 8 inch?
06/02/06 at 22:27:24

I just got the plans for the 10" DB.  Has anyone tried building an 8/10 size DB for an 8 inch woofer?  I may give it a try.  Not much room in a Mustang convertible:)

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: Anyone try an 8/10 size DB for an 8 inch?
Reply #1 - 06/02/06 at 23:53:53

do it, it will be very nice, especially if you use a killer 8 like these.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/08/06 at 15:58:17

My partner in crime(BIG A) just built a DB8 and I was surprise by its performance. He did use a el-cheapo 8" (Xmax=16mm/Fs=24.7) but it can hold its on agaisnt my DB10(iso-loaded tens also el-cheapos). The box has the same measurements as the DB10 with the speaker baffle and the port being the only change to the design. The baffles were cut out for the 8" and the port a tad smaller. First measurements yielded 110db/+100w with no problems and can go down to 40Hz easily. I still want to try iso-loading the DB8 with the cheapos and see what happens. I did try iso-loading the DB10 with the el-cheapo 8". The baffle was the only thing changed and the port stayed the same. Needless to say it could not challenge to the DB8. I'm sure the larger port(DB10) was the problem because the DB8 sounds great and can play fairly low. Hope this helps.    HT-EXT

IP Logged
GaryK
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/12/06 at 23:49:40

Thanks for the feedback, I am going to go ahead and build an 8/10 scale DB.  I need as small a box as I can get. Besides the spare MDF in my basement may go stale Smiley
 I just have to find the time to do it. More to come.
I will have to break out the Rat Shack meter and see how it measures up db wise!

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/13/06 at 10:33:42

I would go ahead and try it. The only question for me would be using a high Xmax woofer in a smaller box. I was surprised when using a medium Xmax(16mm) 8" woofer in the DB10, with small mods, would sound good but it did. If you like to experiment like I do build it and BOOM. With any experiment trial and error will be a given so becareful what you glue together. Liquid Nail works better than expected. When you get it done let me know how it turns out. HT-EXT

IP Logged
mangomanj
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/14/06 at 18:36:35

Yeah, I say go for it! I built a 6.5" version using a Cerwin Vega that I bought off of ebay. Didn't have any T/S info, so I thought the DB would workout pretty well.

I built it out of 1/2" particle board, just as an experiment. All I can say is WOW! I didn't think you could get that much bass from 1 6.5" speaker. I scaled the box by multiplying the dimensions of the DB10 by .65. I then extended the length of the box about 2", so the sealed portion would be larger hoping for deeper bass.

Again, I can't believe how great this little thing sounds. I use it with my computer speakers (Apple soundsticks) and they sound great.

IP Logged
GaryK
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/17/06 at 23:26:30

Decisions, decisions, decisions.  I broke out the calculator and slowly figured out that:  (Slowly as my math classes were a long, long time ago:)
1.  An 8/10 downsized version of the 10" box would result in a box almost as large as the 10".  It would be smaller only by about .65 inch in length and 1 inch in width and height. This is based on reducing the interior volume by 80 percent and keeping the interior LxWXH ratios the same as the 10".
2.  Since I plan on using an 8 inch woofer then I should be basing the calculations on the area of the woofer instead of the diameter, so then the 8 inch box should be reduced in interior volume by 63 percent. (Area=Pi x radius squared.)  The would result in savings of about 2.3 inches in length and 1.3 inches in width and height.  
 Still not much of a saving in size....
   Space is tight but now I am undecided.  Maybe I should just build the 10" and try the 8 incher in it.  The 8 inch is an old Polk woofer that I cant find the T/S parameters on, so it is also an unkwown.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/18/06 at 00:11:03

[quote author=GaryK  link=1149287244/0#6 date=1150583190]Decisions, decisions, decisions.  I broke out the calculator and slowly figured out that:  (Slowly as my math classes were a long, long time ago:)
1.  An 8/10 downsized version of the 10" box would result in a box almost as large as the 10".  It would be smaller only by about .65 inch in length and 1 inch in width and height. This is based on reducing the interior volume by 80 percent and keeping the interior LxWXH ratios the same as the 10".
2.  Since I plan on using an 8 inch woofer then I should be basing the calculations on the area of the woofer instead of the diameter, so then the 8 inch box should be reduced in interior volume by 63 percent. (Area=Pi x radius squared.)  The would result in savings of about 2.3 inches in length and 1.3 inches in width and height.  
 Still not much of a saving in size....
   Space is tight but now I am undecided.  Maybe I should just build the 10" and try the 8 incher in it.  The 8 inch is an old Polk woofer that I cant find the T/S parameters on, so it is also an unkwown.
  [/quote]

you could always throw a bazooka 8" tube in there. its a good sounding design......relatively. you can pick 1 up on e bay for about $30?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/18/06 at 01:34:02

[quote author=GaryK  link=1149287244/0#6 date=1150583190]
  [/quote]
Well, The death Box is a good design for this type of install.  You just tune the box till it sounds good, no specs needed.

I would recommend a smaller sized deathbox, make it so it barely fits your 8 in the insert.

IP Logged
GaryK
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/22/06 at 17:31:10

OK, I am building a .65 sized DB (based on woofer area.)  Took me awhile to figure out the diameter of the half moon but thanks to an online math site, I got it done.  
 I am thru cutting pieces but am curious about the halfmoon port.
I read that others have rounded it with a 3/8 radius inside and 1/4 radius outside. Is this the best plan?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 06/22/06 at 19:41:29

if you're using 3/4" mdf, i would use 3/8" radius. more is better in this case. i used 1/2" radius on my latest project.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 06/23/06 at 04:35:07

I would use whatever will create a half round.  SO what Adrian said for 3/4".

I have never had to round the port over though, even on my 12 inch DB that had 2 high excursion subs.  (One in the baffle, the other at the end of the sealed chamber.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print