Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 21:34:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP is sounding Great again!!! (Read 9165 times)
rayd
Ex Member

CSP is sounding Great again!!!
05/13/06 at 12:38:10

*** Thank You Steve - for excellent customer support! ***

Just wanted to throw a few well deserved kudos to Steve and crew at Decware for standing behind their products and customers!

I sent my CSP in 'cause it was sounding a bit strange and I didn't know what was going on with it. Within a few weeks, Steve returned it not only upgraded to the latest rev, but also adjusted it for my new source (3.5V). (No Charge)

I am really enjoying this piece once again  :D

Thanks Steve!

- Ray

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Re: CSP is sounding Great again!!!
Reply #1 - 05/16/06 at 03:04:43

In spite of the fact that many folks have been fussing with more boutique-ie coupling caps, and so on, the CSP is really the best sounding line level pre I've ever had in it's stock condition.

The valves one would use are the BIGGEST consideration.

Really really a great sounding pre. I'm sure the new one with a bigger chassis with room for more source inputs will have some nice advantages, but mine will stay as is for the moment.

A cryoed Mullard 5y3, and BB 6dj8's, and jeez, I can even listen to cd's (thanks to the zbox as well)!

Karl

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/16/06 at 13:04:30

Mmmmm...... One fine pre, I agree. Its made my system go berserk, in a good way. Grin

Mr C

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/20/06 at 12:24:26

The thing that is surprising for me is that after Steve worked on it, I am hearing new detail I wasn't hearing before.

Listening to Brian Eno's "Apollo - Atmospheres & Soundtracks": there are parts in the mix I haven't noticed before. I will admit - I like the pre on some recordings and just the CS alone on others. Depends on my mood and frame of mind  ;)

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/27/06 at 11:43:34

[quote author=veryoldcat  link=1147523890/0#1 date=1147745083]
A cryoed Mullard 5y3, and BB 6dj8's, and jeez, I can even listen to cd's (thanks to the zbox as well)!

Karl

[/quote]

Hi Karl, I'm tempted to buy a pair of BB's but this morning, took out the stock Sovtek 5Y3 for a a bit more aggressive RCA 5V4GYB. Sound is more rounded out and fuller. I'm going to try a few more increasingly aggressive rectifiers and climb the voltage ladder. Only one I don't have is a 5AR4/GZ34 but at +30V it might be a bit much  ;)

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/27/06 at 22:25:36

Yesterday it heard my CSP lift a friends system to a point that he was just shaking his head. He said he had never dreamed his system could sound like that. Nice job Steve D Grin

Mr C

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/28/06 at 22:03:17

Very cool, Mr C,

Delighted it's working as it sounds like there was a little suffering before. It's by far my best ever line level pre (did I say that b4?)

Rayd,

For some reason, I couldn't tolerate the 5V4, gz32, or 5U4's in my system, but had an old 5AR4 (possibly Sylvania) that sounded quite nice. It wasn't so hard sounding as the higher forwards voltage would suggest and was much better than the 5U4. It's gotta be the fault of other gear too.

My least favorites were the the 5U4 (very overamped sounding) and the 5R4 (everything runs together and is really mushy).

It's certainly very system dependent. The Mullard 5y3, which is cryoed, has a singing sound in my system. I tried a Bendix Red Bank which was good but still not anything like the Mullard   Smiley

Karl

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/30/06 at 10:03:57

Karl, it was easily worth the wait. I just look at like teeething troubles, but I am more than happy, and my friend it very impressed. Grin

Mr C

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print