Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:32:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sensitivity of the Imperial? (Read 6273 times)
morpheous85
Ex Member

Sensitivity of the Imperial?
04/29/06 at 07:37:18

What kind of SPL are you getting out of one? I realize it depends on the speakers used, but can anyone say that it adds _db to the speaker used?

Like a 90db driver gets you 103db or 13db gain for example?

Jason

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Re: Sensitivity of the Imperial?
Reply #1 - 05/01/06 at 17:18:40

Since no one wants to touch this question, I'll offer what I know, even though I have no equipment to measure.

The sensitivity boost is a LOT.  Enough that it should not be any concern.

At this point I am much more concerned with frequency response, and low frequency extension in particular.  I would like 20 hz flat, or even a few db above 80.  That is why I am considering the 1952 Jensen Transflex.

The imperials just won't do that.  The SO reportedly will, but the measurements, I believe, were done with 2, mouth to mouth, in a room that is at least partially treated for bass response.  Coincidentally, I believe this same setup measured flat to 22 hz with the original imperial pair, but I have had no such luck with mine so far.

So to answer your question, unless you are using them for pa, they will be much louder than you need so sensitivity is not really an issue.

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/01/06 at 21:13:21

Sensitivity @ what frequency?  
Don’t BLHs just compensate somewhat for the rising response?  
So a 90db driver is still 90db, but the lows are reinforced (raised), so the curve is flatter.  
Robert  :)

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/02/06 at 02:17:54

I forgot to mention my experience with imperials is only up to 80 hz.

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/02/06 at 22:36:30

a most generic question, for a most generic answer...

the horn adds around 10db 1W/!m to the sensitivity of the driver inside the tuning range of the horn.

its not exact, but thats about what it is, besides which, Steve D reports that often they didnt even need to be hooked up to augment the bass of anything playing in the room. so its gotta be plenty.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print