Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 03:27:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DFR8 HDT, Alternate Tuning tweaks. (Read 12690 times)
Corey
Ex Member

DFR8 HDT, Alternate Tuning tweaks.
04/08/06 at 05:58:56

Does anybody know if the DFR8 driver in the HDT works best with the alternate tuning?

Has anybody ever listened to their alternate tuning kit with the 12" X 12" piece of foam in the averaging chamber removed?

My alternate tuning kit didn't have this averaging chamber foam and so I have never heard the speaker with this foam before. I was wondering how the new DFR8 driver faired without this foam in place?  When I listen to the speaker, the midrange does have a closed in tonality to it and this foam probably improves that  because part of that closed in or boxy sound seems to come from the TL dispersion plate.

Corey

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Ex Member

Re: DFR8 HDT, Alternate Tuning tweaks.
Reply #1 - 04/08/06 at 07:10:06

Corey,

I asked Steve in his initial post about whether this new driver was now the preferred driver for both stock and alternate tuning HDT's.  His response...

"John,

They are, yes.  However, it would be recommended to convert over the the alternate tuning for the best possible results.

Steve"

John

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/08/06 at 17:02:39

Thanks John.  :)

IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/09/06 at 07:47:57

AAAHH!  

I anticipated release of the HDT plans by buying a set of 206e's to break in...

I built the original plans (Mk i), and took the knife to the fostex's to make room for the 15/16" doo-hickey and applied frame damping...

And life was good.

Then came several minor tweeks that were non destructive like the felt around the 15/16" doo-hickey.  CS, later EX trannies, and a 2nd CS came my way, so in went regular trannies for monoblock config.

And life was good.  Better, even!

And then a fork in the road:  Alternate tuning or Mark ii??? What to do?  rip out perfectly good broken in passive radiators and tuning pipes... or try the new speaker compliment that promises radial 3.0 imaging, and most 'weight' and warmth that the decware line of full range speakers can offer from the Top o' the line speaker...

I wanted a taste of that radial experience.  I called Steve to figure out how to convert to the Mk II the right way.  

And life is good, great even!

As much as I love the 206 based HDTMk I, the Mk II works on recordings that were unlistenable before, has much more punch, and is easier to listen to outside of that sweet spot.  OK-now I'm listening to a mono recording of Brubeck, and this piece of 'non-breakable' has incredible depth!

A friend of mine who has listened along the way told me I had absolutely 'done it' the moment he first heard the MkII.  He had been previously very articulate about how things compared.  This time it was just 'you've done it', wows and dribbling.

But in the back of my mind, I still miss the 206.  It has a certain presence and immediacy and edge that, while on some recordings can be brutal, on others is pure 'you are there' magic.  It's especially good with the tonality of brass, cello and piano.  The MkII has more grunt, fullness and effortless treble that just floats. but seems a little soft sometimes in the upper midrange of some instruments.  This has been improving though.

And so, now I can't live without the mkII either.  I'll just have to build another set of alt tuned cabinets in by autumn for my beloved 206's or future FR8 trains and have a showdown.  Or just eat my cake too.

This time, plyboo, not MDF, will be the choice material.  It's renewable from fast growing bamboo, extremely rigid, the dust is not poisonous and finishes are very cool looking!  www.plyboo.com

Matt

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/13/06 at 14:36:09

With the fe206em, you need very good, neutral component behind them or it's just too bad. Same as lowther or other full range IMO. Don't put a cheap SS integrated on a pair of lowther or your ears will bleed Smiley

A friend brought his integrated/cd player (entry level high end) home to test if the hdt would be good for him and it was very very bad. No more extention, vividness, dynamics, everything became agressive. After that he got two choices, change the electronics or find a more forgiving speaker. I wouldn't change his speakers for hdt in his system as it is right now but I would prefer to build around the hdt (can be costly). Else I recommanded him the mkII.

Someone recently told me that the fe206 are very bad fostex drivers. Way to agressive acording to him in his BLH. I sat and listened his system with his bass reflex speakers and figured out that there is no way the fe206 can sound good in this kind of sound system. Even with soft speakers, the dac where harsh and agressive with a lot of digital edge.

My two cents.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/14/06 at 05:58:01

Matt how much is the plyboo?  I couldn't find the pricing on their site.  Cool looking stuff.  I've been looking for places that sell Bamboo plywood.

wow! I just saw these guys are right around the corner from me in San Francisco. Cool. I'm gonna have to see if I can pick up plyboo from them or if they have any local distributors.

IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/14/06 at 21:09:56

When I called Plyboo, they said talk to a local distributor for pricing.  I haven't gotten that far yet, but will eventually.  

BTW, they make veneers in various thicknesses from 1/16" - 1/4".

I have samples in  my office for specifying architectural work.  It's much harder and smoother, resistant to denting/scratching than anything wood I know except possibly ipe.

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/15/06 at 01:36:57

I called Smith & Fong and they said EarthSourcecarries the bamboo ply/veneers for sale retail. They have 3 locations near me (San Jose, Oakland, and San Francisco).  They have the normal color bamboo products (natural, and dark/carbonized) in stock and are supposed to get the new neopolitan (zebra like) stuff in about a week...

http://www.earthsourcewood.com/earthsourcecontactinfo.htm

Too bad I don't have time right now for building speakers Sad

Btw, Zygi I bet the new amp chassis would look WICKED made of this stuff, not to mention your other speaker cabs! Cheesy  :D  :D
Zygi would you be willing to make a couple of the "four poster" hardwood bases out of this stuff?  For my TABOO and CSP? Black posts with the zebra plyboo sides - I bet that would look killer!!!  I'm assuming I'd have to send you the raw wood - I bet you can only order it by the 4 x 8 sheet. It wouldn't be economical unless you had enough orders and/or had other projects to use it for.

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/15/06 at 04:08:10

Brad,

It would be easier out of solid wood,  I would probably never use the rest of the sheet, thats for sure.

Let me know!!

Bobz

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/18/06 at 21:51:39

Still no news about the DFR8's shipping yet?

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/19/06 at 03:36:09

[quote author=gnat leader  link=1144475936/0#9 date=1145393499]Still no news about the DFR8's shipping yet? [/quote]

Brad,

Got 1 driver today??  Hope the other one arrives tomorrow.

John

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/19/06 at 18:48:15

I left voice-mail for Steve asking about status. Perhaps their already in the mail.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print