Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 14:00:09 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
loose ring on front of FE206 driver (Read 7924 times)
zinker
Ex Member

loose ring on front of FE206 driver
04/06/06 at 17:26:11

I am finally getting around to staining and painting my HDTs. Last night when I removed the drivers (Steve's modified Fostex206) I noticed that the plastic ring that circles the surround on the front was loose in a couple of spots. I can imagine that this could cause distortion through resonating but I am not sure.
  I have not attempted to push it back to see if it locks back in place, nor have I tried to remove it. I figured I would ask some questions before messing with it.
  Also, after reading of Steve's Doughnut Modification, I am wondering if it should be removed all together. Does it acually hold the surround to the basket. Do the concentric serrations effect the sound? Is it purely a cosmetic piece?
Does anyone have any experience with this ring being loose?

John

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Re: loose ring on front of FE206 driver
Reply #1 - 04/06/06 at 17:53:29

This happended to one of mine.  Just use some fast drying glue (superglue?) to glue it back in place. You can use clear or black silicone if you place the speaker on it's back and put something on the ring to weigh it down long enough for the glue to set.  Don't put too much glue or it will ooze out the sides and look ugly.  But if this happens you can prob take a razor knife and cut away the excess after it dries.

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/06/06 at 17:55:54

Thans Brad.
Do you think Durobond will do the trick?

John

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/06/06 at 18:11:06

I'm not familair with Durabond

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/08/06 at 12:57:03

I believe the Durabond is what Zigi recomends for installing the passives. I might be wrong however.
Thanks for your help Brad!
John

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/08/06 at 16:23:40

Usually Bob refers to it as "Weldbond" but it might be the the same type of product with a different brand name.
The rings were/are all loose on the FE206E's I had and the FE167E's I have, so its a common production "issue" with Fostex drivers. Some are on so good it's a PITA to get them off. Why would you need to though right?

IP Logged
Young_SC
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/10/06 at 10:26:58

Maybe to install the new surround for the 'doughnut technology'?

There doesn't seem to be much room to glue the surround to the outer edge.

IP Logged
zinker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/10/06 at 13:06:56

The picture of the installed doughnut looks like it is glued right to the ring. It seems like a strange surface to glue to. It is serrated.
I don't know, though. That's why I thought to ask before doing anything. If I decide to upgrade the drivers and the ring does need to be removed I wouldn't want to glue them.

Thanks for your input everyone!
John

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print