04/29/24 at 14:00:00 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO36 and DAYTONS? (Read 13774 times)
HT-EXT
Ex Member

WO36 and DAYTONS?
03/29/06 at 13:10:14

I was looking for some opinions on the Dayton Series II and Quatro. I am getting ready to purchase some more tens and already have Dayton IIs in the WO36(36 x 36) and it sounds great. I also noticed the Quatro has a lower Fs and Vas. Would the Quatro be a better choice for the WO36? The reason for the question is I am loading a HWK10 and would like the IIs to go in it and put Quatros in the WO36. Is it worth the trouble or just buy more Series IIs? Thanks for any info.     HT-EXT

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: WO36 and DAYTONS?
Reply #1 - 03/29/06 at 13:50:01

[quote author=HT-EXT  link=1143641414/0#0 date=1143637814]I was looking for some opinions on the Dayton Series II and Quatro. I am getting ready to purchase some more tens and already have Dayton IIs in the WO36(36 x 36) and it sounds great. I also noticed the Quatro has a lower Fs and Vas. Would the Quatro be a better choice for the WO36? The reason for the question is I am loading a HWK10 and would like the IIs to go in it and put Quatros in the WO36. Is it worth the trouble or just buy more Series IIs? Thanks for any info.     HT-EXT [/quote]

from what i have read its best to use 15s in a hwk.?

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/29/06 at 14:45:46

[quote author=60ndown  link=1143641414/0#1 date=1143640201]

from what i have read its best to use 15s in a hwk.? [/quote]

I don't think 15s will fit in the HWK10 but I'll try. Cry
I still would like to know which you think is better Series II or Quatro. Also which design(HWK/WO36) is best for what speaker. Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
goldenk10
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/04/06 at 07:11:34

HT EXT,

I have the 4-ohm quatros in my WO32. They sound.....very good above 30 Hz. It may just be my setup, but there is a steep drop-off below 30 Hz. Don't get me wrong, for my purposes they are adequate and will certainly thrill, but not if you've become acustomed to powerful sub-sonic bass. I have used my WO32 for music and HT in the past few weeks and constantly find myself pausing movies to check if a truck crashed outside my apartment. For HT, the quatros have been great so far.

If you only listen to Bass mechanic CD's or like to generate 20 Hz tones to impress your friends....choose another driver.

If you have some cash to burn, and are looking only at dayton's, I'd suggest:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-462

Twice the cost...but, you get what you pay for. I may end up with these drivers in a few months. I made my WO32 convertible. Smiley

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/04/06 at 12:31:57

my guess : the subs you pointed out goldenk have too much xmax for the wo32.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/04/06 at 13:31:01

So in your opinion the HO Dayton(part#295-462) would be a better choice for the WO36(I don't have a WO32, YET! Smiley) than the Quatro? I like the Series II but really want to use them in my HWK10. The HO Dayton is on sale for about the same price as Steve's ten. Do you have a pick on which one of them you like best? After running the cheapos and then the Series II I know woofer selection does make a difference. My WO36 is the most important sub in my HT. I would like the response to be between 30Hz to 70Hz but to play ultra low bass is not an issue to me. I want it to play clean and loud when needed so woofer selection is going to be an issue. Thanks for the reply GOLDENK10 and ADRIAN D and keep the opinions and info coming.   HT-EXT

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/04/06 at 15:02:14

i'd definetly spend the extra money and buy Dayton Titanic or Dayton reference HF series or .
i'm not saying series II is bad, but the other subs from dayton, although they're a bit more expensive, will prolly outperform the dayton series II in a wo or db.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/04/06 at 15:42:30

So let me make sure I understand you ADRIAN D. You would pick the RS or Titanic over the Series II and Quatro series Daytons? Would you pick the one(Dayton RS or Titanic) with the lowest Fs and not worry about the Vas or Xmax(for the WO36)? I know just about any speaker will work but this will be my last purchase(YEAH RIGHT!) of subs for the WO36 and I want the best bang for the buck. Apperciate the info ADRIAN D.
HT-EXT

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/04/06 at 16:22:59

i always look for low fs. that's why i chose the infnity ref1040w over the dls mw10. some people say the dls is faster, but fs is higher.
honestly, i would choose the high fidelity reference series model over the quattro or the series II or the high output rs. vas is a bit high, but i guess that's because it's got a soft suspension.
not sure about titanic vs rs hf  ???

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/04/06 at 16:27:31

this would probably out-perform both the titanic and the rs hf daytons.
*fingers crossed customs service won't charge me a $hit load of money for one*

IP Logged
goldenk10
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/05/06 at 05:55:06

Adrian,

I like the numbers on your $161 driver...all except for one. The SPL. 85.65 dB. Too low for me. Very inefficient. The daytons are up in the 87-88 range (at 1W at 1m). Also, the power handling is merely average for a driver of that cost. (300W RMS). Not saying it's a bad driver, but for $161...I think the daytons (295-462) win the day. They have better power handling, efficiency and....cost.
The only parameter that the SoundSplinter driver may be better is the Qts.

So specifically, why would your SoundSplinter driver "out-perform" the daytons? In what respects is it a superior driver?

*Hoping I didn't piss off the wrong executive member* Embarrassed

IP Logged
goldenk10
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/05/06 at 06:02:34

HT-EXT,

Given that you don't need much response below 30Hz, I would give the Quatros a serious look.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-550

You can buy four of them instead of two of the H.O. Daytons. The Quatros are efficient, accurate and have decent power handling (200W RMS) for a ~$65 driver. I can't complain about mine (except for the lack of punch below 30 Hz or so).

If you want to get an idea of the dropoff below 30 Hz, I posted the frequency response with them in another thread. Have a look, decide for yourself. And remember, I put mine in a WO32, not a WO(36).

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=WO32;action=display;num=1142...

Dayton has always made good drivers. Either way, I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/05/06 at 13:58:43

you won't upset me Wink  
ss subs are underrated (at least in power handling) . i'm planning on using one with a 500w amp.
sq would be better. the tc2+ motor (used in the rl-i series) has a very low distorsion factor. i've never seen a bl vs x graph for the daytons. you can find those graphs for the tc2+ motor.
my guess is that if you like the rs or titanic series from dayton, you don't have to worry.  :-/  
wo32 is said to be the best audiophile sub. i'm not sure a wo would outperfom one when using the same subs. the wo isn't as picky as the wo32 when talking about driver selection.  
i'm not sure you will hear too much of a diffrence between 85.5db and 87db.  :-/
it's superior in excursion. this also plays a role in lf extension

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/05/06 at 16:14:32

goldenk10

"Given that you don't need much response below 30Hz, I would give the Quatros a serious look."

I would not mind going below 30Hz but with the cheaper speakers it is hard to do. Do you think the Dayton HO or HF would be able to go below 30Hz easily? I just got this idea if I want to play below 30Hz I should be using my HWK15. I am sure with the right speaker the WO36 will have no problem going below 30Hz but I am not sure which one I like the best(Dayton HO or HF). Thanks for the help Goldenk10 and Adrian D. Keep the info coming. HT-EXT

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/05/06 at 17:16:26

i'd try the hf, just because they have more xmax and lower fs

IP Logged
goldenk10
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 04/06/06 at 07:53:08

Ditto on that. Lower Fs will help get you down in the sub 30 hz range. Go for the HF's if you have the cash.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/06/06 at 15:11:18

I would go for lower Fs on the WO as well, because of its design.

The WO32 is the one that you don't need to worry about the lowest Fs as far as I am concerned.

just my two cents.. However The series two is used by Steve in the DB12 and the SO and I don't think it is just price point

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print