Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:13:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is there a problem with the drawing? (Read 11053 times)
buggers
Ex Member

Is there a problem with the drawing?
03/24/06 at 11:54:22

On the schematic it shows the bottom plate as 12.25 X 12.25
and the front piece as 13.5 wide. According to My math the front and back should be 13.75, and if thats correct then the top dispersion plate should be 13.75 X 13.75 as well.

Am I missing something here? Are there other measurements I should be aware of? Help  :-/ Thank you.

IP Logged
Falconer
Ex Member

Re: Is there a problem with the drawing?
Reply #1 - 03/24/06 at 12:43:43

Hey buggers, I don't have my drawings in front of me so I'm trying to go by memory ???. The bottom plate sits on a 1/8" edge on all four sides. So that would bring you back a 1/4" overall to get to the 13-1/2" front piece dimension. I'll try and check this when i get home tonight. Please post pics of your work when you can.

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/06 at 14:35:20

Buggers

Falconer is correct, The outside dim. for the HDT is 13 1/2" X 13 1/2" making the inside of the box 12" X 12". The top, bottom, and port plate, are rebated (dadoed or rabbeted) into the four walls of the cabinet. The front and back also have a 1/8" deep rabbet running the lenght of there edges.  The top plate will have a 13 1/2" X 13 1/2" dim.

BobZ

IP Logged
buggers
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/24/06 at 15:05:49

I see says the blind man. Thank you all very much and I will see if I can get some pics taken of the project as long as you promise not to laugh at my woodworking skills.

IP Logged
adwsail
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/28/06 at 12:38:49

I had the same issue this past weekend. Nowhere could I find the interior dimension that would enable one to determine the depth of the rabbet. Fortunately an email to Bob got the information I needed, along with some not so thinly insults regarding my woodworking expertise Smiley. Anyhow, it is a 1/8" rabbet around all 4 edges of the front and back panels as well as the top and bottom edges of the sides. There is also a 3/4" wide dado on all 4 pieces for the port plate. The top and bottom plates fit INSIDE the cabinet, not on top or bottom.

Another small measurement my drawings did not have was the measure down for the driver and passive ports. This is 9" centered on the appropriate panels. The bass port on the back has no measure down either but figured just centering it up edge to edge and slightly overlapping the port plate would suffice.

Glue is proceeding to be followed by the Teak veneer I'm using. Does anyone here know anything about the little computer "electro static" speakers on the web site????

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/28/06 at 23:43:56

[quote author=adwsail  link=1143204862/0#4 date=1143549529]I had the same issue this past weekend. Nowhere could I find the interior dimension that would enable one to determine the depth of the rabbet. Fortunately an email to Bob got the information I needed, along with some not so thinly insults regarding my woodworking expertise Smiley. Anyhow, it is a 1/8" rabbet around all 4 edges of the front and back panels as well as the top and bottom edges of the sides. There is also a 3/4" wide dado on all 4 pieces for the port plate. The top and bottom plates fit INSIDE the cabinet, not on top or bottom.

Another small measurement my drawings did not have was the measure down for the driver and passive ports. This is 9" centered on the appropriate panels. The bass port on the back has no measure down either but figured just centering it up edge to edge and slightly overlapping the port plate would suffice.

Glue is proceeding to be followed by the Teak veneer I'm using. Does anyone here know anything about the little computer "electro static" speakers on the web site???? [/quote]

"insults regarding my woodworking"?  At least you know your dados from your rabbits! Wink  

IP Logged
adwsail
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/29/06 at 00:02:40

True, of course I didn't bother to mention the 31" wooden sailboat I built or the 2 aircraft, all 3 of which are still in active operation... but hey, we can all learn a thing or 2 if we are just willing to listen...

I'm real curious what hese babies are going to sound like and it is new terrain for me so despite other accomplishments when it comes to audiophile speakers and amps, I am a newbie....

IP Logged
Chris K
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/29/06 at 00:10:29

What say...a 31" sailboat? What scale is that?
You meant 31 foot right? Smiley Undecided

IP Logged
adwsail
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/29/06 at 01:13:34

Yes, 31', Ive been doing scaled topo drawings of part of Hwy 301 near Plant City all day, day job ya know, ...specificially a 31' Casey Cutter, a 1936 design but with a cold molded hull, very strong and light but not something I'll ever do again... just too much work.. a great island hopper though!!!

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/29/06 at 13:58:39

Adwsail,

I don't have the ability to change the fuse in my head that Steve does, I was on my way out the door to an audio event here in Phoenix, I was in a hurry to get out the door, should have taken abit more time.

My comments were not directed at your woodworking abilities in any way, that was never in question. Ability to read the plans might have been a concern.

I didn't answer your question about the location of the port....the top of the port is at the top of the port plate dado and  goes down from there.

BobZ

IP Logged
adwsail
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/29/06 at 20:24:42

No worries Zygi!!! My port is a little low perhaps, about 3/16" but I'm sure not going to lose any sleep over it. Besides, answering a less than civil email late on a saturday afternoon more than compensates for some minor overlooked detail. We need speak no further of it.

On another note, is there any info on the 'electrostatic' pc speaker short of purchasing the plans? That is a most intriguring little device.

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/29/06 at 23:01:35

Adwsail,

There are a few people on the forum that have built it. I have not yet to date. Living in the hot desert SW I'm missing a key item to build them with (the window cover stuff) and time, which I don't have a lot to spare.

I think 60down might be the most recent member to have built them. I've never had the chance to hear them. someday.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print