04/19/24 at 21:35:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO32 SPL numbers? (Read 4988 times)
goldenk10
Ex Member

WO32 SPL numbers?
02/18/06 at 08:18:56

Has anyone ever measured the SPL of the WO32? I know that it is not supposed to generate the same pressure levels as the WO all things being equal, but I am curious to know what levels it is capable of.

Obviously these numbers will depend on the drivers, amplifier, etc. Setup info would be appreciated. Thanks.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: WO32 SPL numbers?
Reply #1 - 02/18/06 at 12:33:17

Similar really important and informative malus/citrus questions worth exploring.

How fast can Miss Universe swim the 400 meter freestyle?

Just what kind of 1/4 mile ET's are you getting with your Mercedes E-Class?

If I give up my birthday cake, how many starving children will it keep alive?

How many bottles of Merlot will it take to wash engine grease off your hands?

My point? The only SPL "number" that will matter with most HiFi speakers systems is it's efficiency. It's a little difficult and unfair to compare maximums between two systems created for different purposes. I'm sure many others have opposing viewpoints. Smiley

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/18/06 at 16:37:18

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1140254336/0#1 date=1140265997]Similar really important and informative malus/citrus questions worth exploring.

How fast can Miss Universe swim the 400 meter freestyle?

Just what kind of 1/4 mile ET's are you getting with your Mercedes E-Class?

If I give up my birthday cake, how many starving children will it keep alive?

How many bottles of Merlot will it take to wash engine grease off your hands?

My point? The only SPL "number" that will matter with most HiFi speakers systems is it's efficiency. It's a little difficult and unfair to compare maximums between two systems created for different purposes. I'm sure many others have opposing viewpoints. Smiley [/quote]

eh?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/18/06 at 16:39:03

[quote author=goldenk10  link=1140254336/0#0 date=1140250736]Has anyone ever measured the SPL of the WO32? I know that it is not supposed to generate the same pressure levels as the WO all things being equal, but I am curious to know what levels it is capable of.

Obviously these numbers will depend on the drivers, amplifier, etc. Setup info would be appreciated. Thanks. [/quote]

i use an old jvc ss amp (50wpc?) thru a paradigm x 20 @ 70hz...it gets plenty loud in a big room and stays very very accurate and gets wayyyyyyyyyyy low.....if that helps?

IP Logged
goldenk10
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/18/06 at 22:18:49

Thanks All.

DirtDawg, excellent points. My purpose in asking is just to get a ballpark. Like cars, there are many variables which can impact performance dramatically. I figure asking for one's setup will give a relatively good idea of what the design is capable of. Sure, there will likely be a difference between someone sending 2000 watts through $200 drivers compared to 50 watts through $50 drivers, but that's why I asked for setup info too. I'm not trying to win any SPL competitions here, I just want to get a rough idea of what most people experience.

60ndown, thanks for the "butt-dyno" info. I'm sure the WO32 will not disappoint. I looked for the crossover/bass controller you use, the paradigm x-20...I was only able to find the paradigm x-30. Possibly a newer model? I will look further.

And above all,

Thanks for the feedback guys.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/18/06 at 23:20:23

I don't have a WO32, but I've read most of the forum topics on the product and I didn't see any mention of max SPL readings by anyone.

I do have several original Wicked Ones and during my last measurements, 2 of them together, in a kind of PA system, conservatively hit 110dB OUTSIDE at 60 feet away from 40Hz to 100Hz with average drivers and 500W on each box.*

Can't really help you with the WO32.

*MOD:

BTW, that was with pink noise EQ'ed flat and the amp meters were set for averave power showing quite a bit shy of 500W.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print