Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 03:37:31 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommandation about installing the passives ? (Read 7984 times)
franksmith
Ex Member

Recommandation about installing the passives ?
02/02/06 at 13:54:46

I'm doing this tonight, I bought the weldbond.

How do you install them ?

One side at a time using the gravity to keep them in place ?

How long do the weldbond take to keep them in place in order to do the second side ?

Thanks,

IP Logged
Falconer
Ex Member

Re: Recommandation about installing the passives ?
Reply #1 - 02/02/06 at 14:30:04

What I did was to buy some 1/4" vinyl tubing at homedepot. I cut it slightly longer than the circumference of the opening. Test fit the tubing to make sure that when you lay it on the edge of the cutout opening to it makes for a tight fit. Put your adhesive on the passive, lay it in the opening, then place the vinyl tubing in to hold it in place. The tightness of the vinyl tubing wedged in the opening will be enough to hold the passive in while the glue dries and you can do all of them at the same time.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/02/06 at 14:42:16

I did one at a time using a rolled up strip of cardboard to press down on the seal. You roll up a strip of cardboard and when it fits inside the cutout you fasten it with tape. Then you can place a platter on top and add weights. This makes a nice airtight seal. I´d say the weldbond will be dry after about 20 min.

Smiley

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/02/06 at 18:35:07

Wow you guy are engenious Smiley

Thanks

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/02/06 at 18:39:12

This is overkill.  Just apply the glue to both sides, wait 10 minutes or so to let the glue setup a little. Then just put it in place and run your finder over and around it to press it into place.  No need for weights and stuff like that. Zygi confirmed this in this thread...

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=HDT;action=display;num=11292...

IP Logged
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/02/06 at 23:07:42

I second Gnat leader.  You do not need to weigh down the passives because the Weldbond sets up so quickly.

Apply the glue on the passive and the wood. Put it in place. The router groove will hold it in place. Then take a blunt object and go around the entire passive every 10 minutes, squeezing out any airpockets.

EDIT---
You can apply the weight if you want I guess, nothing wrong with having the comfort of knowing the passive is flush and perfect.

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/02/06 at 23:15:03

yep its over-kill but, nothing but the best for me, put them in the right way round too Smiley I always clamp/weigh glue down guess veneering the back´s is over the top too ???

IP Logged
change_out
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/03/06 at 01:46:14

I got watch Zygi as he performed the mod on my HDT's. No weight s or pressure was applied other than a gentle thumb / finger press.

I remember Zygi telling me that "Steve will be playing speakers with in 10 minutes after the glue".

Tim

IP Logged
franksmith
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/03/06 at 02:35:05

I glued two of them tonight.

For the first one I applied to many glue and had to clean up. It took over a hour to dried.

The second one was easyer to install, I deceided to let them dry for the night.

Having them close to the external wall it's pretty important to do a clean installation.

The foam is installed and after the 2 other passive tomorow I will be able to intall the driver Smiley

My fe206e have over 200 hours of broke-in so it should sound good very fast.

Do the passive need some broke-in time ?

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/03/06 at 10:19:27

Í think they do, but Brad or Corey will know as they have installed new passives with fully broken-in speakers ???

IP Logged
change_out
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/03/06 at 16:46:47

I had 2500 hours on my HDT's when the passives were replaced . Improvement was immediate. I have another 50 hours since the mod. I have yet to notice any break in changes.

Tim

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/03/06 at 17:57:08

Yes immediate difference on broken in drivers. I did not notice PR break in differences. Not that it didn't happen, just I didn't notice Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print