Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newbie/greener (Read 11983 times)
2088bob
Ex Member

newbie/greener
01/17/06 at 22:38:09

hello to every one

i am new here and a total greener  bought my death box plans today    i must admit i am a little disappointed with the plans  not as much detail  in them as i  thought there might be  so i may be asking a lot of dumb questions     i am building a pair of 10" boxes  i am more of a tab A  goes into  slot B  kinda guy so here are the first couple of dumb questions   what material?  particle board or mdf  nothing is mentioned in the plans   i also think imho that there may be a sound difference betwwen mdf  and partBoard  and secondlly where are you guys mounting the speaker connection cups   that will get me started as soon as i know the  material of choice i will go and start cutting

regards 2088bob

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: newbie/greener
Reply #1 - 01/17/06 at 22:51:00

well, material is up to you, I use MDF because it is smoother final product and takes screws better.

The terminal cups, I insert them in either end, depending on which way I insert the woofer, so the terminal is on the correct side of the woofer.(the one with the binding posts.)

IP Logged
2088bob
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/17/06 at 23:49:11

yea i was sort of leaning towards the mdf  i find it easier to work with

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/18/06 at 13:36:48

i put my terminal cups on the back, as high as i could, because i wanted to be able to take the top off easily, not having to worry about wires.  make sure you put the insert before the terminals as it may not fit.
i used particle board on both my dbs because i ordered pre'finished and pre'cut panels.
it seems to me that all the plans on the site are very detailed.

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/18/06 at 18:02:18

Yeah, I'm not sure what else there is to put on plans.  These boards are x" by y", these are a" by b", etc., put them together this way, heck they even have 3-d renderings so you can visualize it better.

Do you have specific questions about the construction?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/18/06 at 20:13:18

The problem is that not all the dimensions are on every board, so it requires a little math to work out every dimension.

It can be harder for people who are not visual thinkers, where as some people can just picture how everything goes together.

IP Logged
2088bob
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/18/06 at 22:06:48

okay   i guess  i was being a little too critical of the drawings now that i have had a chance to really stare at them for a while i am seeing things more clearly   so if i ruffled any ones feathers i am truely sorry  what are you guys doing about finishing the outside of your boxes   that grey carpet  but that could be a bit of a hassle at the port and at the removable top i was then thinking some type of melaine veneer but i can't see that lasting to long inthe trunk of my daugther's car and then of course there is allways paint  are two of these going to be to much in my daughters sunbird  am also thinking about one of these for the back seat of my f150 ford ext cab pkup

again  i apologize for being a dickhead     regards bob (the iceman)konarski

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/18/06 at 22:09:36

LOL Bob, we don't think you are a dickhead, just some people can look at plans and be all like, alright build time, whereas others are like, Where does that come from.

I am used to seeing plans as cut out plans on a piece of mdf, but 3D plans and stuff not laid out in a cutting diagram take me some time.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/19/06 at 12:50:14

well, for the db-10 the plans are pretty straight forward, but the 12 need some thinking and doing maths. you also need to have what one of my math teachers called "eye of the mind"  :D
from what i've read, you're building the 10, so i guess it's rather easy. the db10 was the second box i ever built and i managed to put it together rather nice.
i think that the paint is the best approach. but carpet also works. i remember hotsauce used carpet. you can cut it a bit above the port. so that you can see a bit of raw mdf. but again, i would go for paint.

IP Logged
2088bob
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/21/06 at 19:25:42

well been practising cutting circles that was another issue i had to resolve first I  got an old router from my dad and built my own circle cutting jig this morning been practising on anything that would stand still long enough for me to cut a hole in it    really surprized my self with how accurate i have been able  to set the hole sizes

so now i really have a question about the drawing    on page 2 it shows the speaker sitting down in a little bit of a machined out relief  how critical is that detail  and i guess the thru hole needs to be just slightly bigger than the suround so it does not hit or rub  i can see that by doubling up the baffle board here this makes for a really solid speaker mtd

told you guys i was new at this  but i am willing to learn  did i mention that i hate wood   i am much happier if i can weld it grind it  etc

this is my other passion  go here
http://frost.bbboy.net/vwengineconversions-viewthread?forum=14&thread=3

regards 2088bob

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/22/06 at 05:21:44

Never had much need for a sandrail around here.
but I like the power plant. Still have one in a 2.8 HO In my 85 wagon.

whoops off topic!

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/22/06 at 07:05:07

i remeber the detailed cutout on the actuall baffle. that is just to center the speaker. with a bit of help, you can mount the speaker without that detail. i say it's not worth the extra stress to actually do that cutout.
you need to measure the inner diameter of the gasket :

that is your speaker hole diameter
sorry for the nasty pic.
don't cut the speaker hole to the size the manufacturer says unless you want to mount it to fire in the sealed chamber

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print