Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 05:59:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
built a db10....review...? (Read 24456 times)
sfh
Ex Member

built a db10....review...?
01/12/06 at 23:21:48

hello.. soon here comes a little review on my db10 i built before xmas..but first the box and sub:

used a Hertz ES250, 10" sub.. cheap/big value speaker, really nice sounding sub when used in both sealed and ported design.
just had to test it in a DB, just to see what a DB does to a sub, and how the ES250 could do in the box..

it took me 2 evenings, after work to put it together..using 19mm mdf, nd lots of glue
but spent the 3rd evening figuring out and build a thingy that makes the tuning of the box much easier without taking the backplate on of all the time.
so i built a thingy that let me adjust the baffel from bottom to top easily..
pics from and of the build are coming.

just wanna say there was a lack of lows on some of the tracks o tried...in a sealed or ported the same lows is very nice..but in the DB it was just a kind of distorted sound...
thats no good so far..

sfh

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Re: built a db10....review...?
Reply #1 - 01/13/06 at 12:25:29

Have you done the obvious like checking for airleaks and adding polyfill to the sealed end?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/13/06 at 13:04:34

oh, someone recommended me the hertz instead of infinity ref1040w. i chose the infinity. i'm really curious about the hertz review. check for leaks. retune. anything ?

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/13/06 at 23:30:07

As long as your insert is still adjustable, its not sealed.  Sealing the insert makes a difference.  This box is also very sensitive to position, it sounds better in most installations facing back.

John C.

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/14/06 at 02:09:52

Be sure your crossover is set low enough. It is difficult to distinguish if the distortion is at the frequency you want to hear or at one of the harmonics of that frequency. A low crossover(<80Hz) should filter the harmonics.

You also didn't mention what size sealed box you are comparing the DB to. If the sealed part of the DB can't be adjusted to that size, it sure can't match the sound.

IP Logged
sfh
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/16/06 at 23:19:04

the box is adjustable by a bolt going tru the backplate..the baffle can be adjusted from top to bottom by turning a wheel (on that bolt...)
the insert got two gaskets, so its like a piston with piston-rings..get it...?
theres a screw that i take out so the pressure in the sealed chamber isnt pushing/pulling the sub, when i`ve adjusted it i put the screw back in and the its sealed off..

i see others trying to tune the box, but it will all change when you seal of the baffel with silicone or something, so i thought having it pretty sealed when tuning would be best.

the car is a hatchback, the box on the right side of the car and the port was facing backwards.

the lowpass was at about 50~55hz 12db, and the sub was getting about 150wrms.
maybe it was a lack of power on the lows but the volume wasnt that loud for amp to clip(or fail)..

the sealed box was about the same size as the sealed chamber of the DB.. the DB got louder but there was some low end missing..
the same low end on the sealed was louder and no distorted sound.

gonna put some pics up when i get the chance to do it..or when i`m bored..

sfh

IP Logged
sfh
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/30/07 at 04:35:02

hm...it`s ages since ive been on here, and found a couple weeks old PM Tongue asking for pics of the box..
when i get them on photobucket i`ll post them here Smiley

-stig

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/01/07 at 10:43:10

"Better late than never!" Grin

Looking forward to those pictures of the tuning system.

Thanks!,
B.

IP Logged
sfh
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/01/07 at 12:53:05

lol...yes....guess its kinda late..  ;D  but don`t find the pics on the pc  [smiley=18.gif]  so gotta find some memorysticks lying around.. Roll Eyes

sorry to say that i`ve sold the hertz 10", but the DB is in the office  ::) dont have any sub for it , unless i take one of the RE Audio SE10 out of the 750ia..  :P nah.. Wink

but if you think of the insert as a piston in an engine and how the pistonrings is in that groove , is the same way the flat self-adhesive rubber-gasket (8mm wide x 3mm thick) is on the insert.

used a bit on the router and made two grooves that was 7mm so the gasket was squeezed into the groove and wouldnt move.    i guess its pretty sealed, as i had to stand on the insert and jump on it to get it in..lol..  
ps: i guess if you paint and/or sand smooth the innerwall of box the gasket would slide easier.. Wink

the adjustment is made by an U / bridge wich is 6"tall and 11.5" wide, going from one corner to the other, on the insert..U/bridge is made of 1" x 1" U-stainlessteel, and  it goes over/behind the magnet on most 10" woofers.
there`s a 10mm threadrod attached on top, in the middle of the bridge..its a tight fit, but it turns around using washers..tho without moving up and down..

threadrod goes thru the topplate by 6~7", on the topplate there`s a nut welded on a 2" x 2" steelplate, which is screwed on top of mdf.
so when turning the threadrod, the nut/plate on the mdf makes it go up~down , and so does the insert....
maybe it makes more sence with pics...hehe....but its no hitech science guys...hehe...  :P Shocked
oh..and i used the same gasket on topplate to seal it of.. Smiley

-stig

IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/01/07 at 14:05:02

I'm starting to understand it, even without the pics. Roll Eyes
But don't let anyone keep you from posting them.  :-*

Much appreciated,
Bart

IP Logged
PC
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/07/07 at 06:15:39

Sort of like this, except mine is round. Picture shows inner assembly minus outer tube. I just welded a nut on the end of the rod which sits on the outer face of the top plate - adjusts with a spanner.

Interesting you have troubles with lowest of frequencies - I have experienced the same- I also am confident that my design does not leak - but I do get the same fluffy distorted response between the 20 - 25 Hz range. I wasnt sure if it was because the driver's Fs is 24 Hz or -  after reading above from you guys, and some kind help from Bart West(Thanks Bart!), I still need to try some inner fill in the sealed section, a lower cutoff (my HT amp sub out cuts off around 100Hz - need to build a crossover module!) before I finally lose the feature I so proudly built and seal it permanantly - the variable tuning.

Now its time to see your pics Sfh! Shocked

inner_sliding_assembly_showing_threaded_rod_and_top_plate.JPG
  IP Logged
Bart_West-VL.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/07/07 at 22:00:09

Impressive!! Shocked Smiley

IP Logged
60_and_up
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/08/07 at 04:02:05

there isnt much of anything down at 20-25 hertz in real music, maybe some on electronic music, if your getting ANYTHING down there you have done very well.

IP Logged
PC
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/09/07 at 01:06:05

I am getting usuable tones down to 12 Hz - albeit alot less volume than the peak 35-70 Hz bandwidth the sub is tuned for. Below 12Hz nothing - And yes - primarily with elctronic bass music and DTS HT movies -  note -  I used a tone gen to establish the audible response

IP Logged
sfh
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/09/07 at 19:29:42

PC : you`ve created a monster  :o   Wink   Grin  tho, mine still got the looks of a DB, its the same thinking.
when i think of it, i would guess the lack of lows from my DB was because of the 150wrms it got from the car amp , or the 120wrms it got from the plateamp wasnt enough, and thats why it kinda sounded distorted..sometimes.. Undecided dunno...
but since i`ve sold the hertz sub and dont have others laying around, i got some peerless 4ohm, 100wrms, 10" in my front speakers, that i could put in the DB and try a 250wrms plate amp on it..

hehe..i got a 12V motor from a el.window that i could mod`  to fit my DB , then i could sit in my listening area and adjust tuning by remote....
ah..for those lazy days Wink

-stig

IP Logged
PC
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/12/07 at 03:59:43

You shouldnt need all that power to get a clean result  :-? - remember Steve's motto if the first watt sucks, why continue?- - I'm only using a 50W channel from HT amp across all 4 Voice coils - with great results! (the total rated max power handling for both drivers is 1000W - so I still got a lot of headroom! Cool)

If I were you, I'd keep looking at the suggestions made by the others in their comments above.

Tuning by electric motor and remote control - you're a nutbag!

What happened to your pictures Stig?

IP Logged
sfh
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/11/07 at 06:33:05

hello..  

been at hospital and got my self a new eardrum (or whatever you call it Huh) and been off work for 1.5months

but..got some pics for you..  :P  ::)

and here`s my current sub, the adire shiva "sonosub" 3.3cuft @ 22hz  8-)

IP Logged
sfh
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/11/07 at 06:40:05

PC wrote on 11/12/07 at 03:59:43:
You shouldnt need all that power to get a clean result  :-? - remember Steve's motto if the first watt sucks, why continue?- - I'm only using a 50W channel from HT amp across all 4 Voice coils - with great results! (the total rated max power handling for both drivers is 1000W - so I still got a lot of headroom! Cool)

If I were you, I'd keep looking at the suggestions made by the others in their comments above.

Tuning by electric motor and remote control - you're a nutbag!

What happened to your pictures Stig?

kinda wrong  :P  you need more watts to get the most out of the speaker..especially at the lows...at high levels.. and since i tried it with just 100~150wrms it was most likely distorting..at the lows..
i got a 250wrms plateamp on the shiva now, and at (very) high levels it`s distorted at the lows, because the amp wont handle it.. a 700wrms could do better at those levels;)
low sens speakers = more watts to get them moving.

-stig

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 12/15/07 at 16:03:38

Willing to post a quick somparison with the shiva ?  :D

IP Logged
sfh
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 12/21/07 at 15:59:17

the db cant be compared to the shiva;) and its like bandpass compared to ported..  in my room the shiva goes low, feels like endless lows and its loud enough for me with 250wrms on both music and movies..and sounds like an `universal` sub..
the db didnt go that low, whatever the tuning..of course..maybe the hertz sub i used didnt fit the db design and sounds poo compared to a decware 10"..

tho it could be fun to try shiva with 5-600wrms++  8-)

more fun is that i`m getting two re audio xxx18v4`s in my walled car, a vw stw... 54mm xmax, 22cuft net, 25hz tuning/250sqin port, 10kw rms amp.. tempted to put it all in the livingroom and tuning at 20hz and watch a couples of movies..hehe...

IP Logged
Adrian
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 12/22/07 at 07:48:29

Gotcha Smiley
Thanks for the comparison.
Dang xxx's. I found some motors for cheap (older ones) but shipping is far too expensive  >:(

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print