04/19/24 at 21:54:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taboo W/ HDTs (Read 5084 times)
RobLikesTubes
Ex Member

Taboo W/ HDTs
01/10/06 at 18:13:39

Is  anyone  currently  using a  Taboo  with the  HDTs ?

Also,  were  you  using  another Zen  amp  with  them  prior
to the  Taboo (Select, monos,  Tori, etc)  and  what  were the  big  differences ?

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Re: Taboo W/ HDTs
Reply #1 - 01/10/06 at 19:09:47

Rob,

The first time I heard the Taboo was on a pair of HDT's at Steves place, it took me quite awhile to get it out of my head. At the time, I think only 3 or 4 people had heard or had seen the Taboo. It wasn't  in production, and I couldn't have one, I have one now... a match made in heaven.

BobZ

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/10/06 at 20:29:22

gnat leader where are u

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/14/06 at 17:55:40

[quote author=RobLikesTubes  link=1136920419/0#0 date=1136916819]Is  anyone  currently  using a  Taboo  with the  HDTs ?

Also,  were  you  using  another Zen  amp  with  them  prior
to the  Taboo (Select, monos,  Tori, etc)  and  what  were the  big  differences ? [/quote]

[quote author=Mike W  link=1136920419/0#2 date=1136924962]gnat leader where are u [/quote]

Christmans, vacation, and then I've been sick lately. Nothing serious...

I have a Taboo with HDT's. I was using a Decware Zen CS prior to listening to the first "beta" TABOO that was sent around for customers to audition. Well I bought the first one! serial #001. That says allot, no?  The main difference I would say is the TABOO is more detailed, but less warm. That may or may not be to your liking.  For me (and I've heard Zygi say the same) the TABOO sounds more like "live" music.  The TABOO/HDT is quite a nice match. But I would know the TABOO works excellent with any of the new Decware speakers, not to mention other good high-efficiency speakers.

If I were buying all new stuff I'd probably buy (with the 30 day return policy) the TABOO and  Decware MG944, Ed's Horns, or Parker Audio Crusaders.  The TABOO will have plenty of power for all of the speakers in the Decware line, while IMO the Zen CS may not depending upon your room size and listening tastes.  This to me is a big deal and I think a top reason (next to it's steller sound) to own a TABOO over a Zen - it gives you more flexibility in speakers choice and/or room size.  Note however that a good preamp is needed to get the most out of the TABOO - like the Decware CSP (I own), Grounded Grid, MiniMax, etc. And the higher output the preamp the better.

I have owned both the Horn and HDT (currently) and some don't like their slightly tilted up (brightish) presentation.  Having the HDT drives "gel waxed" is supposed to help remedy this, though I haven't done this to mine yet.  Admittedly, I haven't heard the Horn in it's new incarnation with the Fostex 126 driver.  The MG944 and Parker's are likely to be more balanced/linear.  All will be less efficient than the HDT's so there's the give-n-take.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print