Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 00:22:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is the Deathbox right for my music/system? (Read 21424 times)
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Is the Deathbox right for my music/system?
01/06/06 at 17:06:40

I've got an Accord 4-dr (2000) and am considering building a DB for it to fill out the bass end.

Currently, I have 6.5" Polk 2-ways in the front doors and will be disconnecting/removing the rear stock 6x9's once I get a sub to let the air in (and maybe leaving the rear armrest/passthrough open also).  My music preferences are 70's/80's/90's rock/etc with some techno thrown in.  I love bass as much as the next guy but prefer clean sound first.

I have a new Alpine h.u. and 50x4 (150 bridged) on the way so I'm looking at options for the sub.  Would the DB suit my music or would I be better off with a single 12 in a sealed box?  

Also, I'm going thinking of the DB because of the small size, I need the entire trunk sometimes and in the cab I want to keep everything looking stock except the h.u.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Is the Deathbox right for my music/system?
Reply #1 - 01/06/06 at 17:34:19

my guess is that a single 12 in sealed will take up as much space as a db10, but the db10 will probably crush it when it comes to both sq and output. a bad 12 is as expensive as a good 10. but a good 10 is a lot better than a bad 12.
my advice is build a db10, buy a good 10 and enjoy. i'm not the best person to point out a good speaker but i would tend to go for an infinity or a dayton (?), maybe a soundsplinter rl-i 10.
make sure you either pull out the 6x9s or built them a box if you want to put a sub in the trunk.
if you'll build a db, you should tune it accordingly to your favourite music. that way you'll be sure it fits your tastes Wink

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/06/06 at 18:26:32

I guess I was just looking for affirmation on my decision---was planning on a single Infinity ref 10 for the DB (plus Crutchfield has 2for1 on them now, can build second box and sell it or have a spare).

Yes, the rear 6x9's are coming out, Pioneer made them (oem), 15W rms, woohoo.

I figure 50x2 to the Polk 6.5's and 150 to the sub should make balancing them fairly easy.

Thanks.

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1136570800/0#1 date=1136568859]my guess is that a single 12 in sealed will take up as much space as a db10, but the db10 will probably crush it when it comes to both sq and output. a bad 12 is as expensive as a good 10. but a good 10 is a lot better than a bad 12.
my advice is build a db10, buy a good 10 and enjoy. i'm not the best person to point out a good speaker but i would tend to go for an infinity or a dayton (?), maybe a soundsplinter rl-i 10.
make sure you either pull out the 6x9s or built them a box if you want to put a sub in the trunk.
if you'll build a db, you should tune it accordingly to your favourite music. that way you'll be sure it fits your tastes Wink [/quote]

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/07/06 at 16:29:49

i have the infinity sitting on my desk. i bought it a day ago and i still didn't put it in the box...
good luck with your project
oh, clamshell your infinities if you get 2. if you like the sound keep them, if not, you can always build a sealed box for 1, and sell it for profit  :-*

IP Logged
BADMOEJO
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/10/06 at 04:13:41

I was in the same boat about 2 years ago. I ended up going with 1 DB with a 10" fosgate. I was impressed with the bass out put, until I blew the speaker. I forgot 1 main element. Pollyfill. From my expierence with the same car (2001 accord 4dr) I would hve to say that the DB is one of the best ways to go for the price, especially if you already have a speaker, and dont want to spend money on anoy more woofers. I am currently building a box that will hold 3 JL 10's, and have about the same blue prints as the DB. One of the main things that I changed (for space), is that I angeled the "back" of the box to fit tight up against the seat, and the top of the box sits just under the rear speakers. I am going to try and isolate the rear speakers as best as I can from the sound waves of the ports from the box. I wish I had a digital camera so that I could post some pics of the box, but just try and imagine a DB that holds 3 subs, instead of one. Good luck, and I hope that you are happy what ever way you decide to go.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/10/06 at 05:51:39

I built an Infinity Reference 10 in a DB that consistently blows everybodys' minds.  Its in a cavalier.

Its insanely fast and accurate and loud.

You know a sub is good when your girlfriend spends +400 on subs speakers amps and h.u. and her dad is able to look you in the eye and say "Wow that sounds pretty good."

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/10/06 at 09:58:23

Wow, thanks for all of the feedback, and from people with the same car and same sub as I'm using.

I'll go ahead and order the Infinity today and hopefully build my db this weekend.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/10/06 at 12:33:47

do it EXACTELY as on the plans. you won't be dissapointed. don't forget to do a round cut in on of the panels that forms the top lid.
badmoejo, i'm using mine without polyfill. i used a 80w rms sub for about 6 months and when i cranked it up the sub was seeing about 150w. no problems.
changing the shape could mean that the pressures won't be as evenly distributed on the cone as in the original. why 3 jls ? why not 1 beefier sub ?

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/10/06 at 15:26:19

Ok, here's my status.  I got my new Alpine 9843 in yesterday, installed in about an hour (gotta love Honda's, cake), man does it sound better than the Pioneer DEH-1600 I took out, and Alpine's ergonomics/interface are so clean just like back in the 80's.  Did I mention I've been out of car audio for over 12 years???

Anyway, my 4x50 amp comes in tomorrow, I plan on putting 2x50 to the front 6.5's and bridging the other side to 1x150 for the db.  If I get the Infinity reference 10's, they are 4 ohm and my amp is stable bridged to 4, so that's fine.

What to do with the other sub?  I probably can't clamshelll because I'd be at either 2 or 8 ohms, and if I ran them individually at 2x50, they would have a stereo signal instead of bridged, so they may be fighting each other on some stuff.  

I guess I could build a second db and sell it or just keep the second sub as a backup, but that's kind of a waste since with me only putting 150 to the Infinity it shouldn't really ever wear out.

Anyone want to buy the second off of me once they come in?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/10/06 at 17:36:13

like i said before, build a sealed box for the second infinity and sell it for a bit of profit, to have $$ available for other stuff...
i'd buy it, but i live in romania  :(

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/11/06 at 00:06:27

So you have two Infinity's?

I would build a WO. LOL I have a WO with those two subs that kicks the shit outta me and any passengers I have with 250 rms per sub.

IP Logged
BADMOEJO
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/11/06 at 00:59:07

I would love to use any beefier sub, the only thing is that I have a couple of restrictions that I am sure that any one can appreciate. 1) I have to fit a stroller in after I build and put what ever box in. 2) I had a hell of a time talking my wife into letting me get the 3 JL 10's, so what ever project that i end up doing, I have to use those subs. I figure that there could be worse things than being able to build the box that I want with the subs that I want and running the amps that are decent, so I really cant complian too much. I did consider that the air/ presure distribution on the cone, but I think that the box is just small enough that it should not bee too bad, but even then I will see what I can when I tune it,(ie, playing with PollyFill). I was going to build another DB, after I blew the first one, but then i got "the LOOK" from my wife, so I ended up going to Wall-Mart and getting the cheapest boxxes for 10's that I could find and spraying the shit out of them with Spray adheisive and stuffing the shit out of them with Polly Fill. They sounded decent for about 2 months and then I think the started splitting, since it was only 1/4" wood, so that's why I'm building the box that i am.

IP Logged
BADMOEJO
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/11/06 at 01:25:01

I forgot, I remember seeing in a Car Audio mag, a few years ago, A guy had two bridged amps to 3 subs. If I remember correctly, what he did was. ran a  regular bridged line from each amp to 2 of the subs, and then powered the 3rd sub like a center channel with one pos from one sub and a neg from the other sub. The acticle did not say anything about the how the ohms of the speakers were effected, or anything negitive, but I am sure that there is some kind of catch to the whole process, I am just wondering what that catch may be? I would like to try and do this with the 3 Jl's, but if not then I will just wire them to a 6 ohm load, wich would be better? Thank's.

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/12/06 at 13:47:37

My amp came in yesterday, got the power wire ran last night (PITA getting through the firewall on the right side), will hopefully get the rest done tonight.  My subs come in tomorrow.

My plan now is to build 2 boxes this weekend, 1 DB and one sealed per Infinity's recommendation, and test them back to back.  I'll keep the one I like and sell the other.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/12/06 at 14:04:46

make sure you tell us which one you chose...

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 01/12/06 at 14:09:54

I will.  If I go the sealed route, I'll probably glass in an enclosure in a corner of the trunk similar to what I had in my Saturn coupe back in the day.  I had 2 Kicker 12's in sealed enclosures in the sides of the trunk---kept my of my storage space but 2 12's sounded pretty good in that small car.

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/14/06 at 00:34:54

Subs came in today, nice looking.  It's amazing to me the difference 13 years or so makes since the last time I bought subs---Kicker comp10's I think.  Technology has really changed.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/14/06 at 05:57:29

well, this particular sub looks diffrent from other modern subs just because of the basket.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/14/06 at 17:44:15

The comparison between the sealed infinity and DB infinity, when I had to make it awhile back, came down not to sound, but rather volume.

I was amazed at how the DB was just as fast as a sealed box and clean, yet it was loud like a ported version.

Good luck, Myself and two friends took several days to decide.

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 01/16/06 at 20:09:44

I picked up my MDF yesterday---our minivan can handle 4x8 sheets flat on the floor, but MDF is 49x97.  Oh man, barely got it in, barely.  That one inch almost made me get it cut in 1/2.

Got it home, and ended up getting sick.  I did get the cuts laid out, but I'm not sure when I'll be up to doing them, I'm just very weak right now.

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 01/25/06 at 15:21:19

Well, I've made the decision that I like the sealed box better for my Infinity 10".  Anyone need a Deathbox?  I've even got a brand new Infinity 10" to go with it.

I ended up with the baffle barely covering the port (maybe 1/2") but decided to build a sealed box since I had the wood and tools out and whipped it out in about an hour.  For my type of music, I like the sealed better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print