05/02/24 at 14:17:39 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
adding an infinity (Read 1365 times)
Adrian D.
Ex Member

adding an infinity
01/06/06 at 13:48:27

after a 2 month search, i've ordered an infinity ref1040w to put in my db10. i put the sub with the magnet in sealed and i took top of, while it burns in. when i turned it up, the bass was comparable to that i got when using the cheapie...
i can't wait for it to burn-in. i guess it's better to do it without the top since it moves much more easily.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: adding an infinity
Reply #1 - 01/08/06 at 16:59:11

well, today i put the lid on and bolted the sub. first impression (with the amp at the exact gains as before) is that it is as loud and goes lower than with the previous sub. oh, i forgot to say that it's firing towards me, not towards the corner, as before. it goes as low (if not lower) than my db12 + cheapie. i've noticed one bad thing... if i push it realy hard (+200w) i get port noise. it's just a bit, and it's not audible with normal listening. i only heard it with the fullranges off. really makes me think, because everything is sealed right and the halfmoon is rounded (3/8 radius inside, 1/4 radius outside).
EDIT : i've put a 15 hz sine and i'm rather sure chuffing was coming from inside the box, not from the halfmoon...
i thought that the driver could make those noises, since it has a vented pole-piece and it has a really fine mesh to protect from some dirt/debries ?
the edges of the insert over which air flows are rounded (abour 5mm radius)...except the speaker hole.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/08/06 at 20:59:20

15hz?!  :D  well if you have music and movies that have 15hz on them i want a copy.if not dont sweat the 'chuffing', everything, cars, speakers, amps, girls, your body, starts to behave strangely if you push them too hard Grin

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/08/06 at 23:19:14

[quote author=60ndown  link=1136558907/0#2 date=1136753960]15hz?!  :D  well if you have music and movies that have 15hz on them i want a copy.if not dont sweat the 'chuffing', everything, cars, speakers, amps, girls, your body, starts to behave strangely if you push them too hard Grin [/quote]
Many movies are loaded with infra info. "Lord Of The Rings" is the first I think of because it has so much. This whole infra bass stuff intrigues me, but if your sub reaches the 20s you will get most of the LFE out there. You don't need to have 6 15s in your living room and a low tuned cab (like me) to appreciate the LFE channel.

I've actually been using a biamped setup, since rehashing stuff a little in the summer, for just the LFE. 2 - 15" in one BR cab tuned to 32Hz with 400W on them crossed over at 28Hz and my "big whistle" 4 - 15" tuned to 16Hz with 1000W on it. When I built my first 2 WOs I put them in the living room for a while, but they couldn't really go low enough for my tastes. They were much better suited to the garden. Even with all that power my response peters out in the mid teens, At one time I had some test gear and measured some 8Hz content in "Stargate", but I couldn't reproduce it. Angry

Believe it or not the movie that has the most impressive use of infra bass, that I've seen, is "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" an animated Disney movie. The latest "Star Wars" has a little stuff in the teen Hz range, also. After running a few test you get used to what shakes at what frequency. It's all good.

As far as music, forget it unless you go for Tech stuff or synthesizer there nothing in the teens that I've ever heard.

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/09/06 at 02:35:22

[quote author=60ndown  link=1136558907/0#2 date=1136753960]15hz?!  :D  well if you have music and movies that have 15hz on them i want a copy.if not dont sweat the 'chuffing', everything, cars, speakers, amps, girls, your body, starts to behave strangely if you push them too hard Grin [/quote]

My guess is he's going to a non-audible frequency so he can only hear the air movement and isolate where it's coming from.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/09/06 at 12:37:12

Quote:
My guess is he's going to a non-audible frequency so he can only hear the air movement and isolate where it's coming from.

good guess. i did the 15hz tone because of two reasons:
1) i can hear where chuffing is coming from
2) i don't disturb anyone at those volumes
so, back to my problem....where could that noise be coming from ?
i'll remove the bottom lid today, and play some music/sines to see if i can get the same noise (practically to see if the halfmoon could be the culprit )
EDIT : i removed the bottom lid and put a 20hz sine. immediately the chuffing was back. turns out it was coming from a screw hole. i asked my dad to predrill and he drilled through both the panels. i told him there could be leaks, he said it's impossible. guess i should have done that myself...
now i've got to think of a way to repair it. the bad part is i can't listen to it while the stuff i'll use to cover the hole dries

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/09/06 at 14:22:32

Adrian,

It's exciting to power up a new construction project and it's very hard to wait while you fiddle with technicalities, knowing that this thing will ROCK if I just hook it up. However, the learning experience you just had should help to cool the jets during the next project. Using a low freq first to identify and eliminate problems will save time and disappointment in the long run. Way to go! Grin
Grit your teeth, fix the problem, enjoy your "baby" more tomorrow.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/09/06 at 18:20:24

actually i feel very proud... because i cut a drywall screw, put some silicone on the 4 threads that were left after cuting and screwed it in the hole. problem solved.
however the "excitement" of a new build/upgrade can cause problems...
i guess it's useful to have a couple of watts to push it hard just to see some weakpoints in the build and fix them.
next on the list is a bit of panel flex. the bottom lid.  >:( that will have to wait till the summer vacation

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/09/06 at 18:46:02

Quote:
..... next on the list is a bit of panel flex. the bottom lid.

Is the panel doubled?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/09/06 at 19:09:04

no. the db10 has a simple panel. the db12 has a double panel.
no time to build Sad

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/20/06 at 22:51:46

Adrian, how did you mount your Infinity?  I'm probably going to finish my box this weekend and haven't decided on how to mount the sub, with the magnet side inside the baffle or in the sealed section.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 01/20/06 at 23:22:43

Infinitys don't fit with magnet in the port end of baffle.  I had to triple the baffle up hehe.

It definately sounds better with the cone firing into the sealed chamber with the insert all the way up to the bottom of the half moon for me.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/21/06 at 17:15:57

well, i have mine with the magnet in sealed, because i didn't want to drill holes for wires. it definetly fits with magnet in ported. i saw on a pic, the sub mounted like from the ported side towards the top lid. now that was silly. imho, the sub should be mounted "on" the baflle, so you can pull it out without dismantling the box.
the insert of my db-10 is set as low as possible, but without obstructing the halfmoon. i like it that way.
infinity ref1030w has a lot longer mounting depth compared to ref1040w.

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 01/21/06 at 17:32:48

Yes, it will fit however you want it as long as it's installed from the sealed end.  I haven't checked for sure, but doubt it would mount from the ported end with the magnet in the ported end.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/21/06 at 18:25:14

Quote:
mount from the ported end with the magnet in the ported end.
imo, that would mean that if you want to get the sub out, you have to take the box apart. i say definetly mount from the sealed side. the hole is almost identical for both magnet in sealed or in ported.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 01/21/06 at 18:49:26

Yeah I guess I do take the DB apart alot....  hehe

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 01/21/06 at 19:01:41

i don't know how i did it, but i also took mine apart lots of times (i replaced the 45 deg angled board and the front panel). it's not gonna be easy if i want to build one out of mdf and paint it. maybe i would have to make the rear and bottom panel removable or i would have to build it perfectly or i would have to restrain myself when i want to tweak.
superjett, remember to post some pics, or at least a review Wink

IP Logged
SuperJETT
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/23/06 at 00:37:03

Mine is built, haven't had time to test much though other than just hitting a couple of test tones to try it out since I only have 1 RCA to my amp---which reminds me I need to run the other.  

My gut feeling is I won't keep it, and will build a .75 cu ft sealed box.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 01/23/06 at 12:40:46

i had the same gut feeling when i first tested mine : i won't keep it, i wasted money and time. but as the sub burnt-in and i took some time to tune it and MOST importantly, crossed it low (below 80hz) i began to like it. for a whole month i had a 12" cheapie in a 2 cf ported to compare with the db-10 + cheapie combo. the 12" got lower (duh, it's normal), spl was comparable, but sq was much better on the db-10. not sure about sealed.
anyway, you can't expect to hit waaay below 25 with a 10 Wink
i say build both boxes (since you have 2 infinities) and do an A-B comparison : same amp, same gains, SAME MUSIC.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print