Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 12:32:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
High Excursion driver in WO prob or solution (Read 7328 times)
haydenlake
Ex Member

High Excursion driver in WO prob or solution
11/30/05 at 19:24:49

I've read quite a few topics in the WO32 forum about the issues regarding high excursion drivers in the WO32 box. I see why high excursion drivers would/could create a problem in that situation, but what about in the WO. The 8's I have in my WO right now have an xmax of 7mm or 8 I don't recall. If I put in a pair of 8's that had an xmax of 20 (and of course recalibrate the displacement in the sealed section of the box, would this create any problems. My first corner or mouth pinch angle is completly rounded (rather than what looks like a sharp angle on the decware plans) so I don't think it should give too much turbulence.

thanks,
b

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: High Excursion driver in WO prob or solution
Reply #1 - 12/01/05 at 00:30:46

as with all good things....suck it and see, or ...try it and let us know.i believe i have heard of people useing high excursion drivers with insane amounts of power with no problems and good results, but personaly i have not, but i would like to Cheesy

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/01/05 at 05:23:34

the only problem I have heard anyone mention is port noise, well throat noise.  Some drivers move massive amounts of air to force throught the throat opening, creating noise.

You can prolly solve this by rounding the throat piece and maybe adding a 45 brace in the throat corner like the WO32 and moving the throat opening out further, say to 3 inches.

IP Logged
haydenlake
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/03/05 at 19:24:36

Hello,

I read that when you increase the throat size it increased the high end extension. But does this mean that you will lose low end? I really only need it to be smooth from mid 20's to 70ish.

thanks,
b

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/03/05 at 19:51:57

yes it increases high frequencies response, however, I ahve not experienced throat noise to make me want to widen it.

By the way, Hayden Lake, do you live in Dayton, MN?

because there is a golf course named Hayden Lake near there. and if you lived there, you could check out my WO.

IP Logged
lunarlab
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/04/05 at 02:08:44

I would try a bigger port opening and lots of bracing....again I will post my horrible scan of my cabinets for PA http://lunarlab.greenbtn.com/music/pics/woplan.jpg ....using high excursion drivers.  I had port noise with original plans. Keep your crossover point low if you still have throat noise...

IP Logged
excellrec
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/03/06 at 07:38:00

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1133382289/0#4 date=1133639517]

By the way, Hayden Lake, do you live in Dayton, MN?
[/quote]

I grew up in champlin! It's weird. People on car audio forums always seem to come from right around here. Interestingly enough we never have any car audio events. I think that needs to change.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 06/05/06 at 04:04:36

Excell, I agree.  OS much so that I have been attempting to get someone to sponsor an event through a few of my different work places. (none have said yes so far)  and bothering people on different competition forums.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print