04/29/24 at 10:30:55 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question (Read 5847 times)
doughboy_12003
Ex Member

question
06/05/06 at 02:03:12

i am currently building the WO and was wondering if it would effect it if i had a friend paint the whole inside  cause shes an amazing painter  and would it effect it if i riggd up some neon lights up in it   ill b sealing it with a sheet of plexi glass so insides will b visable ?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: question
Reply #1 - 06/05/06 at 04:02:51

The only thing that would effect the WO noticeably would be the sheet of plexiglass.  If it is to thin it will flex and make weird noises, and it won't make the subs do what they are supposed to, basically flexing = bad.

With that said, I would recommend plexi thicker than 1/2 inch.  the thickest you can get the better though.  

But yeah, painting and lighting shouldn't effect the design to a noticeable degree.

IP Logged
doughboy_12003
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 06/05/06 at 04:06:45

good enough   would  lexen flex asmuch or  is it basicly the same   cause over a half inch is expencive stuff

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/05/06 at 04:12:49

I have not tried lexan, but I did use plexi less than half an inch and it flexxed like mad, so much so that I destroyed the box after removing my subs.

I did make one WO that had windows in it though.  I doubled up 3/8 inch plexi sheets and made 4 windows, for the two outer sides of the sealed chamber.  Than I mounted the subs facing the windows. It looked really cool, except my plexiglasses work at the time was horrible.  

On that same topic, another route would be to go with several windows rather than a single large sheet.  And you can glue plexi glass together.  CLEAN IT VERY WELL.  Than use plexi glass glue. (I got it from a place downtown)  It actually chemically bonds the plexi.  If you get good coverage (MY glue seeped out the edges)  you can't tell its 2 sheets.  I practiced on several small pieces before attempting the larger pieces for the windows.

IP Logged
doughboy_12003
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 06/05/06 at 04:24:24

what if i just screwd it down to everyware it could b screwd into  like on  inside walls an stuff    this chick is amazing at painting so i dont want anything coverd up    heh

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/05/06 at 04:56:38

Think of panel vibration as sucking energy out of your sub and creating distortion with it.

Then decide at your own risk how much you are prepared to deal with.  I have a box made of 2 inch thick solid doors and it still flexes.  The thicker the better.  The least area between connecting panels, the better.  The more bracing the better.

Real glass is better (heavier and stronger) but is harder to permanently attach.  If you don't need it permanently attached, just run weatherstripping or similar along all contacting panels and set it on top (but it has to be good and heavy and perfectly sealed).

It is impossible to get rid of all vibrations but doing what you can to at least try will go a long way.

IP Logged
qpalzm
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/06 at 12:01:22

I had, at one time, big ideas of building a WO using 1 3/4" thick solid-core doors and 1/2" thick tempered glass. I got a quote on the glass and it was way less expensive than Plexiglas!
The plan was to seal the glass to the box with clear silicone caulk and then use gasketing and screws to fasten the bottom.
A custom paint job would be really cool. You should look into using LED lighting as well

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print