05/02/24 at 13:31:17 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBs unbelievable (Read 927 times)
Adrian D.
Ex Member

DBs unbelievable
11/11/05 at 05:24:28

Honestly, i'm very very impressed after changing my amp and adding an active x-over.
i believe my db-10 needs to be tuned just a bit lower, which i'll do today. but the speed and detail ... Roll Eyes ... just amazing. the upgrade was surely worth it. now i'm just afraid i'll blow my sub, because the amp can supply 160w clean and the sub is rated @ 80wrms. still very impressive for a cheap 10. i crossed it just above 70hz and the vocals and midbass aren't audible only a few inches from the port. port noise=0 because i rounded the port (3/8 inside, 1/4 outside).
if anyone wants to build a db (10 or 12) i'm sure that, built and powered right, it won't be a dissapointment.

IP Logged
rock4016
Ex Member

Re: DBs unbelievable
Reply #1 - 11/11/05 at 16:30:40

A lot of subs can handle more power in the DB, something about the cone control provided by the half-moon port. Steve mentioned this in his design notes.

I think that as long as you don't listen to the DB at full volume for hours on end it will be fine.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/12/05 at 01:42:32

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1131690268/0#0 date=1131686668]Honestly, i'm very very impressed after changing my amp and adding an active x-over.
i believe my db-10 needs to be tuned just a bit lower, which i'll do today. but the speed and detail ... Roll Eyes ... just amazing. the upgrade was surely worth it. now i'm just afraid i'll blow my sub, because the amp can supply 160w clean and the sub is rated @ 80wrms. still very impressive for a cheap 10. i crossed it just above 70hz and the vocals and midbass aren't audible only a few inches from the port. port noise=0 because i rounded the port (3/8 inside, 1/4 outside).
if anyone wants to build a db (10 or 12) i'm sure that, built and powered right, it won't be a dissapointment. [/quote]

beat that 10 to death then get a new one Cheesy

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/12/05 at 18:45:30

Quote:
beat that 10 to death then get a new one

i will, but in the summer after i'll buy an infinity. i guess i'll bridge my amp and put about 500w in that 10 to see just what will happen. thanks for the advice Wink.
update : i've put some fill in the 10 and this gave it JUST a bit more lf extension but i have the feeling that the sound is dampened and i've lost a bit of punch... any of you had similar experiences ?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/12/05 at 19:47:36

everything i ever do to anything has an effect.

IP Logged
HB Bass
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/15/05 at 12:43:12

I put fill in my 8" DB and it helped a lot.  Same for the 10" in my son's car.  I believe the fill may deaden punch slightly but I personally like the sound better with it.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/15/05 at 16:14:11

well, i removed it, because i really missed the punch. so i'm back to 'no fill', with the x-over at about 65-70hz. i pushed the 10 really hard today, maybe very close to rms (80w  :-[ ) but that's a first. i thought i heard port noise, but after rounding the port edges and the inside edges i guess it was panel flex or maybe some higher bass (i hope it was this). anyways, it was impressive.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/19/05 at 06:25:07

[quote author=Adrian D. link=board=Deathbox;num=1131690268;start=0#6 date=11/15/05 at 10:14:11 i pushed the 10 really hard today, maybe very close to rms (80w  :-[ ) but that's a first. [/quote]

same here, as time goes by i get more aggresive with my subs. i baby them at first but there always comes a time that i punish them for being born Undecided

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/19/05 at 13:04:42

[quote author=60ndown  link=1131690268/0#7 date=1132381507]same here, as time goes by i get more aggresive with my subs. i baby them at first but there always comes a time that i punish them for being born Undecided [/quote]

That's so sweet. Grin

I find I baby them at first now, too. After they pass the test tone and pink noise spank on the bottom I usually take it easy during the first few weeks.

For me it used to be the other way around. When you listen to them for a living and brag that your stuff can fill up a certain room, you better know for sure. With a new design, I used to spend an afternoon blowing one up with pink noise to find the max output with a meter (I had a REAL rack mounted meter and a good RTA back then) before they even had a chance to make music.

"A man's gotta know his (speaker's) limitations"
Dirty (Dawg) Harry

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/19/05 at 15:33:31

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1131690268/0#8 date=1132405482]

That's so sweet. Grin

I find I baby them at first now, too. After they pass the test tone and pink noise spank on the bottom I usually take it easy during the first few weeks.

For me it used to be the other way around. When you listen to them for a living and brag that your stuff can fill up a certain room, you better know for sure. With a new design, I used to spend an afternoon blowing one up with pink noise to find the max output with a meter (I had a REAL rack mounted meter and a good RTA back then) before they even had a chance to make music.

"A man's gotta know his (speaker's) limitations"
Dirty (Dawg) Harry [/quote]

i cant remember ever blowing anything? ......i need a bigger amp Grin.....but seriously , i listen for any distortion/clipping anything that isnt clean and then turn it down a 'smidge' but i have never tried to fill any room other than a car or a regular sized room? i would LOVE  to spend a week or so with all the bass heads here in a large hall with unlimited driver selection mdf and a table saw mountain dew and hamburgers (i dont drink  (anymore)so youd have to bring the beer)

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/19/05 at 23:56:45

oops,
i think ive blown on of my 5.25s in my car today? spoke too soon...typical Angry

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/20/05 at 00:22:09

[quote author=60ndown  link=1131690268/0#10 date=1132444605]oops,
i think ive blown on of my 5.25s in my car today? spoke too soon...typical Angry [/quote]
Oh no!  >:( Your new ones?
I was just coming back to this thread to tell you that you were working against the odds already.
Maybe it's something simple or mechanical in the connections. Cry

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/20/05 at 00:38:00

[quote author=60ndown  link=1131690268/0#9 date=1132414411]

i cant remember ever blowing anything? ......i need a bigger amp Grin.....but seriously , i listen for any distortion/clipping anything that isnt clean and then turn it down a 'smidge' but i have never tried to fill any room other than a car or a regular sized room? i would LOVE  to spend a week or so with all the bass heads here in a large hall with unlimited driver selection mdf and a table saw mountain dew and hamburgers (i dont drink  (anymore)so youd have to bring the beer) [/quote]

Dew and Burgers work for me!
If only! That would be awsome, do you think we could get a large corporation to finance it and fly us all in for a 48 hour weekend?
I wonder what sort of creation would result and what we would be going home with?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/20/05 at 20:07:01

upon inspection it was a half unglued dust cap flapping a bit on the front of the driver, the glue (gorilla) is drying now if it holds its all good. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print